The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Is my mare defficent in nutrients? Dry skin,licking mud,drinks alot. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/my-mare-defficent-nutrients-dry-skin-72562/)

Rosalle X 12-07-2010 08:50 AM

Is my mare defficent in nutrients? Dry skin,licking mud,drinks alot.

hi,
lately my little filly has been digging holes and licking the mud/ground, shes been drinking LOADS, her skin is verry dry and shes all itchy.

her feed: 1 scoop Hi-Fi, 1 scoop pony nuts, 1 scoop bran, garlic, seaweed. Morning and night.

she grazes 8am-4.30

she has a hay net every night.

she has a mineral lick.

what do you thnk she needs?

Peggysue 12-07-2010 12:34 PM

first can you post some links to the products you are using :) Being over the pond I am not familar with them LOL

what kind of bran wheat or rice?

How old and how big is she? any idea on weights of your scoops??

Rosalle X 12-07-2010 03:34 PM

Hi thanks for replying, im not sure on the brand name of the supplements ive never realy thought to look lol,

Hi-Fi:

DENGIE HI-FI ORIGINAL WITH APPLE 20KGS

the pony nuts are by my feed supplyer and are just grass and alphalpha.

and its wheat bran.

umm my scoop is about 8 inches long, 4 1/2 inch wide and 4 inches deep .. haha .. (sorry for making things difficult lol)

Shes 3yr 7 months, 14hh she dosent do much work but its verry cold and icey here and her coat is verry thin.

im worried about the dry skin as i can treat her tail but not her whole body lol, i want my little girl to feel healthy and happy.

thankyous

Peggysue 12-07-2010 07:13 PM

I woudl replace the wheat bran with rice bran ... wheat bran has a really off balance Ca/P ratio

I would also add
Hi-Fi Balancer.

It sounds like she is defienct , if you can get a Tea Trea Oil spray there I would get that and work it in well once or twice a day

It stinks when they ahve problems like this when it is cold

luvs2ride1979 12-10-2010 01:01 AM

I agree, no more wheat bran. Use rice bran or linseed/flax meal for added fat. The linseed/flax meal will help with the dry skin a bit better than rice bran, IME.

That balancer looks like a good option:
Hi-Fi Balancer - Dengie Horse Feeds

Or one of the vit/min mixes, like this one:
Natural Vitality Leisure Vits and Mins - Dengie Horse Feeds