The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Parelli...What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/parelli-what-do-you-think-7267/)

moomoo 03-25-2008 05:59 PM

Parelli...What do you think?

This is quite a good topic to argue about :) lol

So tell us what you think :) but be nice about it :wink:

MysticRealm 03-25-2008 06:30 PM

I am in between Neutral and What a load of ****.
I don't care if others do it but they prob shouldn't watch one clinic then go home and try it.
I would be leary of buying a horse that somone has done that with just cause I would think the person might have a loose screw in their head and I think that might transfer to the horse! haha.

.A.j. 03-25-2008 06:31 PM

It was a toss up between the first 2 options for me. I brought my horse to a clinic a couple years ago and we had a blast. Its a fun way to bond with your horse. I haven't had any major issues to fix with him so I haven't used parelli for more than fun bonding but I'm a fan.

PoptartShop 03-25-2008 06:40 PM

I think it's pretty cool to try sometimes.
They gave some tips about loading a horse into a trailer, & how it's about the leadership towards your horse, not the trailer. It helped me with Lexi; she used to not load pretty well. She'd be scared of it; but now she's better. :) I used their tips for that.
But I really don't bother with them much.

LadyDreamer 03-25-2008 06:43 PM

Personally, I can't listen to the guy. His methods don't "reach out and grab me". And of course that is just me. The only program I was able to sit through was only because the arena was one that I had shown in many times and knew very well. I just watched for the location.

I try to take as much as I can from as many teachers as I can.

I think of the Clinicians, Clinton Anderson has the best people teaching skills. I have learned a lot from him.

"Everyone's trying to do the same thing but in different ways."

.A.j. 03-25-2008 06:49 PM

Big fan of Clinton Anderson.

mlkarel2010 03-25-2008 07:03 PM

i mix, Mike Kevil, Parelli, Clinton Anderson, my trainer and my own knowledge to create my own type of training, but he has some very valid points, and other things that are a bit extreme

AKPaintLover 03-26-2008 02:09 AM

I was in between the top two, but voted in the top category just because I have found some of the seven games useful.

I have the halter, lead, and level I pack. I have no intentions of going to clinics, and probably would not buy any of the higher levels.

I use the principal behind the yo-yo game daily to back my horse out of my space. Yes, I know there are other ways to teach this, but it was fun and easy. :)

I use the circle game any time I need to check for soundness, and even when I lunge now - I find it way easier and that the horses get much less excited than in traditional lunging.

Because of parelli, I am now able to ride my stallion in a halter out on open trail. Yes, this can be figured out in ways other than parelli, but parelli gives great tools to be successful doing so. :)

I try to pull knowledge from as many sources as I can, so no, I would not vote that Parelli is full if it. Yes, I think he is running quite a money making racket...and if I could make as much $$ teaching people the basics of horsemanship, I would too!! He may make money from it, but the stuff works on horse and rider.

this winter I spent time watching clinton anderson - got a lot of great stuff there. I am currently watching the josh lyons videos for performance riding - awesome. Point is, the basic concepts mesh between the different trainers to a point where they can help build on each other.

Saying that you would be leery of buying a horse where the person has done parelli because they probably have a screw loose if a little offensive. That is like saying anyone interested in teaching their horse basic ground handling skills and safety has a screw loose. There are many shady horse owners out there, who follow various trainers, or have their own crazy training methods. :) Those are the people I would be leery of - I would not presume to group parelli followers alone into such a category. Would it be a deal breaker in a sale that my 5 year old stallion can be led and handled by a beginner, largely due to the parelli background in his training (coupled with some halter work)? :) :)

tiffanyp1980 03-26-2008 01:32 PM

I love Clinton Anderson, I love his tecniques, and he is great to look at too.

kim_angel 03-26-2008 01:54 PM

While I do think Parelli is ok, I prefer Clinton Anderson.
He is much more direct, much easier to follow. I think Parelli has a little bit of behind the scenes hocus pocus.