The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Have an Idea for a side business! LOL (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/have-idea-side-business-lol-72679/)

O So 12-08-2010 05:22 PM

Have an Idea for a side business! LOL

I have an idea for a side job, or business, more job though. I want to get some feed back on what you guy's think. Let me start off with kind of explaining how I came up with this. LOL

The last couple of days I have been going down to the stables where I take O So for socialization and some exercise. I went there originally to find someone to train me and O So to drive. (Found someone) I was talking to one of the boarders about how I would love it if someone there had a horse they didn't have time for. I would turn them out, brush them, and ride them. She knew someone! LOL I was going to call the lady today, but didn't remember the horses name, so I went back by to get the name and ended talking to another boarder. She told me she had a horse I could do this very thing to! :shock:

My friend, soon to be trainer, started talking to me about "forever leasing". Where I just pay the stable and vet, farrier fees and such, but the horse is basically given to me. I just can't sell or give it away, I would have to give it back if I couldn't take care of it!

So I was talking to my Dad, going to go get his saddle this weekend) and telling him about the leasing, and we came up with a business for me! LOL We figure I could put an ad in the stable saying something like this... "For as little as $20. a month, I will ride, brush, and turn out your horse."

He said that there are probably a lot of people that bought a horse, now boarding it, that just don't have time for them. I could see what he was getting at. I see horses all the time just standing in a pasture being a lawn mower!

What do you guy's think? Think I would be able to make a bit of money to do something I love to do? The best part, I wouldn't need to 'lease' a horse if I could do this! LOL The only down fall, is the horses would never be 'mine'! The good thing, if I become 'one of those' people that get bored with it all, I won't have to pay someone to take care of my horse!

Oh, this has all come about because I don't have room for a big horse, but I would love to have one, or just ride and take care of one or two or....... :D

Spastic_Dove 12-08-2010 05:29 PM

I would use someone to go out and love on my horse when I couldnt.
Depending on your riding capabilities I would go for that too if needed to be worked and I couldnt do it.

O So 12-08-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 844539)
I would use something like this :)

Heck, I would even travel to their ranch to ride! LOL That is within a decent mileage! LOL

There are several stables around here though. So I think I could get enough to keep me busy right here in my area! LOL

Oh, and this is basically just riding their horse in the stables arena! I wouldn't take it out on trails or anything! So it should be a fairly safe thing, for the horse that is! LOL I could obviously get hurt, but I would have it in my contract that I waive any accidents that may occur to me!

Endiku 12-08-2010 05:36 PM

in agreement with Spastic Dove, I think it depends largely on your riding abilities for whether or not your idea would be sucessful. If you're capabilities don't go past a walk, trot, and wont-fall-off-but-not-in-control canter type thing- there isnt a big chance that you're going to get many people who are interested. However, if you're a dominant rider who can easily take charge of a horse and teach IT rather that it teach YOU- I think its a wonderful idea =] you could potentially benefit from this job a lot.

kitten_Val 12-08-2010 06:17 PM

I probably wouldn't mind someone to groom and mess with my horses, but riding ONLY IF the person is very VERY experienced. My horses are not beginners-friendly and paying liability is not fun in any case.

However the barn I used to be in had people (most just trail riders) with too many horses and too little time. And at least one person was happy if I'd ride and feed 3(!) horses for him. Also I've seen local ads from people looking for someone to come out and ride a horse for them. So yes, I'd give it a try personally!

O So 12-08-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 844594)

However the barn I used to be in had people (most just trail riders) with too many horses and too little time. And at least one person was happy if I'd ride and feed 3(!) horses for him. Also I've seen local ads from people looking for someone to come out and ride a horse for them. So yes, I'd give it a try personally!

That is what I am just getting started in! I go to a barn where I met a lady that has 3 horses. One is her daughters, but the daughter doesn't have the time to take care of it. So the lady is going to let me take care of the grooming and turn out. Then after I have ridden with her a few times, I will be able to go and ride it anytime I want. I am only going to ride in the arena. They have a trail I can go on, but I don't want to be responsible for something bad happening to the horse out on a trail. Now if the lady goes with me, that is different. On my own, I will stay where the horse and I are safest!

Currently I am not a boarder there, I am a member of the SHA and I take my mini there for exercise. So now I will be able to exercise the mini and ride for a bit! :D

equiniphile 12-08-2010 06:59 PM

I think it would be a good thing IF you didn't ride the horse unless you were experienced in this discipline and could do more good with the horse than bad.

alexischristina 12-09-2010 12:51 AM

I see the exact opposite around here. Nobody will pay you to ride their horses, but everybody (including very talented riders, looking to get into training or get more experience for competition) will exercise your horse for free, but if there's a business for it in your area and you're experienced enough, go for it!