The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   please judge my quarter horses conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-judge-my-quarter-horses-conformation-72733/)

apachewhitesox 12-09-2010 11:48 AM

please judge my quarter horses conformation

2 Attachment(s)
hey i was just wondering if some people would look at and comment on what they thought of my 12yr quarter horses conformation was like. I dont know if these are the best pics but they are the best i have. thanks

lilruffian 12-09-2010 12:01 PM

Well, first off his back is long & quite straight & he needs more muscling to his hindquarters. He also has what is often termed a "jumper's bump" at the top of his croup.
His neck is quite ewed which results in it looking rather thin & his head looking large in comparison.
His hocks are also high in the back.

CharliGirl 12-09-2010 12:14 PM

He looks a bit underweight to me, and lacking in the muscle department. Like lilruffian mentioned, he has a ewed neck and high hocks. Also, his pasterns look steeply angled to me.

I think if he was put into some work (with feed increased), he could get looking pretty good. I love the palominos!

apachewhitesox 12-09-2010 12:32 PM

thanks i've only had him for a few weeks now and he has been out of work for a few months. I'm new at this but are someof these just faults or can i knind of fix them. Is the jumper's bump a bad thing i've never heard of it.

Eolith 12-09-2010 01:19 PM

As with the TB, he needs more weight and more muscle. Ribs are visible and topline is poor. The lack of muscle in his neck makes him look even more ewe-necked than he might usually be... same with the jumper's bump.

The jumper's bump is not a bad thing perse and can sometimes be due to a lack of muscle and weight as I believe may be your horse's case.

apachewhitesox 12-10-2010 06:42 AM

Yeah the pictures make him look a little skinnier then what he actually is some people even think he looks fat. But he does definitely need to develop muscle pretty much everywhere which i am working on.

Alwaysbehind 12-10-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachewhitesox (Post 846210)
Yeah the pictures make him look a little skinnier then what he actually is some people even think he looks fat. But he does definitely need to develop muscle pretty much everywhere which i am working on.

Usually photos add weight, not make an animal look thinner. You can easily see his ribs. There is no way this horse is even close to looking fat.

apachewhitesox 12-10-2010 08:02 AM

i know and believe me im not one of the people who thinks hes fat but a few people have said it

Jacksmama 12-10-2010 08:34 AM

He is by no means emaciated, I have actually known people that keep their horses in similar condition because they like them to look "trim". Personally I like a little bit more meat on their bones(just look at Jack and you can tell,lol). I think the thing that would make the biggest difference in the way he looks and his proportions is to get some muscle on his neck and a bit more weight.

apachewhitesox 12-10-2010 08:40 AM

i totally agree with you jacksmama like i said earlier he needs to build more muscle all over. But he has been out of work for months.