The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Qh/Draft (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/qh-draft-72734/)

Annie54 12-09-2010 11:49 AM

Qh/Draft

5 Attachment(s)
My name is Ansleigh and my boyfriend just bought me a horse for christmas.:D I use to have horses growing up but when I went to college I had to sale them because my family couldnt take care of them. Now I am almost done with college and cant wait any longer to own another horse. The girl we got Dolly from said that the ferrier thinks she is qh/percheron cross. I wanted to see what yall think :D

thanks!

Ansleigh

loveBradforever 12-09-2010 12:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear about selling your horses. but this one is very pretty!!!!! :)

dressagebelle 12-09-2010 12:36 PM

She's very pretty, but with a head like that, I would be inclined to say she a Belgian cross, or clydesdale. She' very cute, love her coloring.

ShutUpJoe 12-09-2010 12:54 PM

I agree. I would say Belgain cross. She certainly is pretty.

Annie54 12-09-2010 01:01 PM

Thanks!!! I cant wait to ride her this weekend! Oh and I know this is kinda off topic but I just ordered an abetta pathfinder trail saddle... any reviews on it?

The girl also said to use a flash band on the bridle... is this really necessary? I have western bridles without the band to conect a flash strap.

dressagebelle 12-09-2010 01:11 PM

Since I don't know why she said to use a flash, I would maybe try her in an enclosed safe area without it, just to see how she goes, but normally the purpose of a flash should be to keep the bit in place in the mouth. I had a dressage trainer tell me that its NOT to keep the horse from opening his mouth, though I know people use it as such, and it is generally advertised as such, at least here in Cali. Obviously this is one person's opinion, and research, so I could be completely wrong, but if the owner says that she needs the flash, then I'm inclined to think that its to keep the mouth closed. So I would try without, and try maybe different bits as well, to find one she works well in before putting a flash on because the old owner said to.

Annie54 12-09-2010 01:19 PM

Thanks! I am going to ride her in the enclosed field for the first few times. I asked the owner and she said she uses it when other people ride her just in case they are not firm... ? I think it should be fine. When I rode her she listend really well. She said use a snaffle bit. I just ordered one. I had walkers with the longer shank bit.

charlicata 12-09-2010 02:28 PM

First off, Welcome to the Forum!!!

Second, you have a beautiful girl there!!!!

SidMit 12-09-2010 05:36 PM

Pretty mare! I have a Quarter/Perch cross if you want to compare, pics are in my "barn." I agree with the other though, I would go with Belgian cross as well. Yea for getting horses again! :)

franknbeans 12-09-2010 08:44 PM

She is cute! I am thinking Clyde just because of her markings. But she has those wonderful soft draft eyes.......Good luck, welcome, and let us know how it goes!