The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding Relatives? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeding-relatives-72806/)

Eolith 12-10-2010 02:30 AM

Breeding Relatives?

After a lengthy search, my family and I have finally found the studs that we think would be a positively perfect match with our Welsh Cob mare. Of the two of them, there's one stud we prefer. However, when we took a look at his bloodlines, we discovered that his granddam is our mare's dam. (Maybe that's why we like him so much? :lol:)

So... my big question is: How close is too close?

I know that sometimes horses and other animals are bred more closely in relations than would be considered "appropriate" for us humans, but where does it become a threat to the health of the foal and the soundness of the breed?

This is the stud we've fallen for: Quillane Apollo : Welsh Cob Sport Stallion

dressagebelle 12-10-2010 02:33 AM

I don't have an answer for you, as I'm also trying to figure out the same thing, but I just have to say "HOT DANG" that horse is beautiful. I like the heavier horses, but of course I currently have an Arabian mare, would love to have a horse to breed him to, or one of his foals lol. Good luck.

xXEventerXx 12-10-2010 02:44 AM

i cant see that being an issue, they seem far enough apart for breeding. BTW i love his colour so beautiful

Supermane 12-10-2010 02:57 AM

Inbreeding, Linebreeding and Crossbreeding
Hm, I think that maybe reading up on inbreeding a line breeding might help. I pulled this really basic article up pretty quickly

Eolith 12-10-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagebelle (Post 846141)
I don't have an answer for you, as I'm also trying to figure out the same thing, but I just have to say "HOT DANG" that horse is beautiful. I like the heavier horses, but of course I currently have an Arabian mare, would love to have a horse to breed him to, or one of his foals lol. Good luck.

Lol, you understand my attraction to him then. ^_^ You know dressagebelle, the Welsh/Arabian cross is a relatively popular one. They call them Welaras. :wink:

We''ll see how it pans out. I'll be getting opinions from our trainer, the vet, the breeder, even our barn owner. Even if we decide that stud isn't the one, the same breeder has another really nice stud on the same farm.

Thanks Supermane for the article!

FeatheredFeet 12-10-2010 05:35 PM

Actually, this would not be a really close breeding. Look at how many other horses would be in the mix on the pedigree. Probably be a really nice breeding, if they don't possess faults in common.
I'd say, go for it!

Lizzie

ShutUpJoe 12-10-2010 05:42 PM

I wouldn't see a big issue with it. He is a gorgeous stallion. For some reason I thought Welsh Cobs were smaller than that.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-10-2010 06:03 PM

Just remember what they say about line breeding and in breeding. If it works it's Line Breeding, if it doesn't, it's Inbreeding. ;-)

lilruffian 12-10-2010 06:58 PM

I wouldnt worry about it. All horses are "inbred" somewhere along their line, & in fact (when it came to TB's anyhow) horses weren't/ aren't considered to be related unless they had the same dam, which is 1 of the reasons you get alot of the same sire line in horses close together.

Eolith 12-10-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 846696)
I wouldn't see a big issue with it. He is a gorgeous stallion. For some reason I thought Welsh Cobs were smaller than that.

You're right, the cobs do tend to be more in the 13-14 hand range, but I'm intentionally hunting down the taller studs. I'd like to get a little more size while still keeping with the breed. I'm actually very excited to have stumbled across these 15 hand boys.