The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Winter boots for riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/winter-boots-riding-72814/)

kitten_Val 12-10-2010 07:46 AM

Winter boots for riding?

Just want to hear the ideas... I'm using my "normal" (not-horsey) winter boots currently (waterproof and with artificial fur), but as long as it's 30F and under feet got very cold (since they don't move while I ride). I was thinking about may be "Mountain Rider" (Dover carries them)... Any experience with them or any other ideas on boots?

P.S. Yes, I tried 2 pairs of socks (one thick) - didn't do the trick. I have bad circulation so getting cold very fast... :cry:

kpptt2001 12-10-2010 08:40 AM

I find it's all about the socks for me, mind you, I don't particularly like big clunky boots for riding - I use my regular paddock boots all year long. I have tried several types of socks, ones made specifically for riding in winter, alpaca socks, layering socks etc. Nothing seemed to work quite how I wanted - either my feet were just downright cold still, or they would sweat resulting in wet & cold (bad combo!). A few weeks ago I went to a sports store in my area that sells winter sporting goods and picked up a pack of "Salomon" socks, made by the ski company. They were perfect!!! Didn't overheat my feet, yet kept them warm enough to stand around in the cold for a bit and still had the feeling in my toes! Other people I know swear by winter riding boots, but they just don't appeal to me, so this is my alternative. I will be interested to hear what others suggest, perhaps it’s time I finally give in and get myself some actual winter boots, in the meantime and until I give in, I am happy with my Salomon socks!

kitten_Val 12-10-2010 09:24 AM

Thanks, kpptt! That sounds interesting (and way more cheap alternative to the new boots). I may give a try to Salomons.

Puddintat 12-10-2010 09:26 AM

My mom bought some battery operated socks for riding and she said they work pretty well. She got them from Dick's sporting goods.

MissH 12-10-2010 12:31 PM

This: Mountain Horse Stella Polaris Winter Rider

plus

These: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Hotties-Adhesive-Toe-Warmers/dp/B001GKLWNC/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

I don't know what else to say but AWESOME. And yes the boots are expensive but I'll have mine for years. They are great quality boots. They are wonderful without the warmers - only use the warmers on days when you'll be out at the farm for a good 4 hours and the cold is unbearable. Even then you'll only really need the toe warmers towards the end of that time frame as the boots do a really great job of insulating.

Supermane 12-10-2010 01:09 PM

I have Ariat Women's Bromont H2O Insulated Tall Boots and the Ariat Women's Bromont H2O Insulated Zip Paddock Boots

W BROMONT ZIP H2O INSULAT and Short English Winter Riding Boots | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM
W BROMONT TALL H2O INSULA and Tall English Winter Riding Boots | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

They are pricey, but I think they are worth it. The tall boots have suede on the inside calf, with I don't mind, but some people hate. It's a lot like having a half chaps on and they're really warm. I use the tall boots to show in.

Note: the first link has a closeout price.

franknbeans 12-10-2010 01:47 PM

Ashamed to say....I have a pair of the Ariat Arctics I have never had on.....either need to use them (they are tall, english style and I now ride western) or sell them.....hmmmm. They look comfy! lol

kitten_Val 12-10-2010 02:02 PM

Thank you, folks! I'm going to Dover this or next week, so I'll get their opinions as well.

I'm riding in something similar to this: Judith Sport - Joanne (not exactly but close), and it definitely doesn't keep me warm even though it's a winter one...

ridesapaintedpony 12-12-2010 12:36 PM

I got a pair of these
High Insulated Winter Riding Boot - Horse Themed Gifts, Clothing, Jewelry & Accessories all for Horse Lovers

I also have a Mountain Horse pair but I have big calves and I can't tuck my jeans into the MH ones.

Quite frankly, I don't think anything besides having toe warmers are going to keep your feet warm for long.

Tymer 12-12-2010 05:44 PM

If I get on and my toes feel warm, I just keep them warm by taking my feet out of the stirrups and rolling my ankles around for a bit. I've never had issues with overly cold feet, so thick socks has always been enough. Then again, I ride in just a tshirt most of the ride unless its below freezing...

I'm really against instant warming packs, personally. I heard a horror story at a barn I used to ride at where a girl put them in her gloves, and one glove lit ON FIRE. She had to take the glove off, throw it into the woods and get off to stamp out the flames. She got 3rd degree burns... Ever since I've been really afraid to use them, even though I have a bunch of packs.