The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is it just soreness? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/just-soreness-72819/)

outnabout 12-10-2010 09:44 AM

Is it just soreness?

My 15-year old quarter horse was giving me a lot of trouble with trotting and loping beginning about two weeks ago. She would put her head down very low and turn off to the left when asked to trot or lope. After two days of this, I had a trainer at my barn ride her to see if she might have an injury or whether she was just being bratty. She rode her around the arena a few times and said she was just being difficult. I gave her a couple of days off from riding, and last Saturday she did much better, did trot and loped briefly, although her lope was very clumsy and jarring to me. When I went out to get her Monday this week, she could hardly walk. The farrier who did her feet about 3 weeks ago was there, and both he and my trainer checked her and suggested I call the equine chiro. He adjusted her and said she was just very sore and to give her a week off. My question is that I was riding her a lot more, say a month or so ago, and never had any problems like this. So why would she all of a sudden have such a severe soreness problem? The only thing that has changed is that it has gotten cold here, in the 30's at night. A little history... she was a cutting horse and has been brood mare in pasture for over 10 years. She is now 15. I pulled her out of pasture late July and have been slowly getting her back into shape for trail riding. Put about 50-75 pounds on her since she was thin. Chiro report says poll was out on both sides, rotated pelvis, femoral head tenderness & tightness in stifles and paraspinal muscles & sacrum tightened up. Rib 8 rotated & tender. Seems like she maybe got into a little accident, although there were no scratches/scrapes on her anywhere. Should I learn how to wrap her legs for support? What do you all think? Oh, and there was no swelling, nothing was hot, feet OK. Thanks for your help! I am newbie horse owner.

mls 12-10-2010 10:32 AM

How are you riding her? I realize it's been a long time since she was in the cutting pen but those horses ride on a VERY loose rein. If you are trying to collect her, you are going to ask her to stiffen.

Long slow miles are best to bring her soft tissue back. Build from the inside out.

outnabout 12-10-2010 11:15 AM

I do ride her with a very loose rein. She was very well trained, I neck reign her. It would be a good idea to let the trainer at the barn watch us lope, though, now that you bring it up. She watches me ride sometimes and has never commented on me doing anything wrong. I'll ask her about what you said.

outnabout 12-10-2010 08:54 PM

OK, so had time to talk in person with the trainer/BO and another guy after work today when I went out there and they say she probably did something in the pasture... duh... so we are waiting to see improvement and if not more chiro adjustment early next week. If no progress in three weeks, will take her to local racetrack hospital for evaluation. I am so very bummed. We were having so much fun. I am leasing her and you have no idea how close I came to buyinig her last month until I found a trailer and spent "her" cash on the trailer, probably the deal of my lifetime. I am probably over reacting, but this horse has me wrapped around her left ear and I just hope that she will be rideable again. She is in a paddocks with three others, water a little ways away... put the halter on and walked her to water since I'm not sure she would go there if in pain. She is a little better, but not much. I would gladly take an injury over seeing HER like this... I am so very bummed :(

outnabout 12-18-2010 12:20 PM

Update... she has much improved, have been walking her for about 10 min/day. She's still a little stiff. Chiro coming back out again Monday, day after tomorrow.

zippinthisway 12-19-2010 10:15 AM

Do you have much Lyme disease in your area? Two out of six of my horses have Lyme disease. Just a thought.

zippinthisway 12-19-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outnabout (Post 856436)
Update... she has much improved, have been walking her for about 10 min/day. She's still a little stiff. Chiro coming back out again Monday, day after tomorrow.

Do you have Lyme disease in your area. Two out of six of my horses have Lyme disease. Just a thought.