The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dirtiest mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dirtiest-mare-72902/)

damnedEvans 12-11-2010 01:29 PM

Dirtiest mare

6 Attachment(s)
I just hate winter, especially when it's muddy outside and the horses are out.
And this mare, Stela, seems to love mud baths. We worked 2 hours to groom her.
How do you deal with such situations? Do you have a trick to clean such a horse. I know that a bath was the best solution but it was to cold for a bath.

*and yes, she's very underweight. She's a rescue, she's old (over 25 years) and she has Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Attachment 48593

Attachment 48594

Attachment 48595

Attachment 48596

Attachment 48597

Attachment 48598

ladybugsgirl 12-11-2010 01:57 PM

Im so glad my mare is blanketed and not really one for getting dirty....But yet again there is so much snow everywhere

NdAppy 12-11-2010 02:05 PM

Brush, brush and more brushing. That is what mine get done to them when they come up looking like that. The ponies tend to more then the horses do.

Piaffe 12-11-2010 02:09 PM

wow...what a mudball...lol. I always keep at least a rain sheet,but usually a blanket on them in winter. not only to keep them warm,but to keep them cleannnnn :)
I have used Shapley's waterless bath and I think it works well,but I don't know for that big of an area ;)

damnedEvans 12-11-2010 02:11 PM

We still don't have snow here so it's just very muddy. And Stela doesn't need blanketing as she has very big winter coat. I just hope that she will not do this again. :D

It was a pain to clean her because the mud was dried and the brush didn't work at all. I used a metal curry comb and then a brush.

NdAppy 12-11-2010 02:20 PM

With her being as under weight as she is, a blanket will more then likely help her keep warm regardless of her coat. She is still putting energy out to stay warm with as little meat that she has on her bones.

MsBHavin 12-11-2010 02:24 PM

I'd probably blanket her. I had a tb who would not keep weight in the winter, so we blanketed him. It helped a lot, with mud and weight! lol

jess93 12-11-2010 03:03 PM

She needs a blanket on. She is too underweight to control her body temp
Posted via Mobile Device

damnedEvans 12-11-2010 03:13 PM

I appreciate all the advices so thanks. I will put a blanket on her. I was thinking that she has enough winter coat to keep her warm. She is the fluffiest from all. And the temperature here it's ok, the coldest until now was 32 F. And she is stalled at night and only kept outside from 8 am to 6 pm. But I will blanket her because it's not hard and maybe it will help her.

RodinKy 12-11-2010 04:55 PM

Dirtiest mare

my palamino mare is part pig and loves to get in the mud. You just have to use the curry comb and brush and a lot of elbow grease. I think blanketing her is probably a good idea.