The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Round Pen or Square??

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bama20a 
#1 ·
So, I am working with a BLM mustang and training is about to kick up a notch. So far has been all about getting her use to people and the daily routines of barn life. She is a rescue who is believed to have suffered neglect. You can not touch this mare yet. But, she is respectful of fences and has shown no aggression as of yet.
So, I have heard different things about both pens. Round does not give the horse a chance to back into a corner,ect,ect....Square gives the horse (especially a BLM) an escape area to feel less threatened ect,ect, ect.....I want to know everyone else's opinions and experiences with both pens before making my decision on which to use.

#2 ·
I haven't used a square pen, but just reading your post reminds me of reading Klaus Kempfling and his preference for the square pen. I guess that is the old way from the old bull fighting schools. I am kind of rambling here. I need to reread the book and why he prefers square. Anyone know what I am talking about? I don't . . .

#3 ·
I've used both and personally I prefer the round primarily because the horse can't hole up in the corner on a square fence. I like that in round they can move consistantly, yet in the square they can travel in a straight line- Those are about the only difference I've experienced in the two.

#4 ·
I have & still from time to time break BLM mustangs,
I've noticed they are harder (sometime's )in a square pen.
I've had afew to get in the corner then try to climb out over the pen,Never had one to try to climb in a round pen.
So for that reason along I don't like the square pens,
I've always been afraid of them hurting them self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.