The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Riding the beach at Boliver Peninsula near Galveston (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/riding-beach-boliver-peninsula-near-galveston-72948/)

QOS 12-12-2010 12:43 AM

Riding the beach at Boliver Peninsula near Galveston

1 Attachment(s)
I delivered a wedding cake EARLY this morning and my wonderful cousin hauled my horse to Crystal Beach for a trail ride. I wasn't going to be able to go but she hauled my boy down there so I could go across the ferry and deliver cake! Cake pays for horses so it is a necessary chore!

She had him saddled when I got there - what a doll! We rode out with about 16 people, 15 horses and 2 mules. The mule man was ponying a young mule and they were so cute!

Crystal Beach is on Boliver Peninsula and was literally wiped off the map in Hurricane Ike. Many new brightly painted cabins have popped up. It is mostly cleaned up but there is still quite a bit of bits and pieces of shattered wood, plastic, metal, glass, etc. in the area where the cabins were. The beach itself if pretty darn clean except for the hundreds of Portuguese Man O' Wars that were everywhere. We rode about 3 hours - so I think we rode abut 12- 14 miles with some walking and trotting most of the way. It was around 73 degrees and sun shining so we had a perfect December day in Texas on the beach. Here is a pic of Esther (she used to be my dressage instructor) she is on a Frisian/Morgan, my cousin Kellie on her Arabian/Quarter Horse, me on a QH and our friend Sue on her little Arabian mare.

If you are in Texas come on down...the beach was great and very few people out. When it warms up it will be swarming with people so now is the time to ride the beach!

corinowalk 12-12-2010 01:26 AM

That looks like so much fun! I need to do that again someday!

Cowgirl101 12-12-2010 01:55 AM

I so would if I had a trailer. Oh it would take me 6 months to get there. XD
Lucky!

QOS 12-12-2010 08:57 AM

LOL that would be some trail ride!

cakemom 12-12-2010 03:00 PM

Red and Flicka and Sarah and I are jealous!! Kiss Fabio for me (which is what I will continue to call Biscuit!!)
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirl101 12-12-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QOS (Post 848157)
LOL that would be some trail ride!

Yeah..

It's a dream of mine to ride on the beach.
Jody and I are so jealous..

smrobs 12-12-2010 09:17 PM

Pththpthth *sticks tongue out*. No fair, 73 is swimming temperature. If I am ever down your way, I will certainly hijack your beach. Gorgeous picture.

QOS 12-12-2010 10:34 PM

Heather - Red likes the beach - except where there were shells....he was all rearing to go...trotting a big extended trot and as soon as there was as strip of shells...wow...he would stop and walk gingerly across them. LOL you will have to haul them here and ride at the beach. The Cowboy Church group that we ride with is acquiring the local stable and we will be able to have people over night their horses there so any of y'all will be able to do that and go down and enjoy this beautiful beach.

Fabio Biscuit had a great time - his hair was curly from sweat and as soon as I got him in his pasture he dropped and rolled. LOL then his hair looked normal.

We were going to ride today but it was too darn windy. It was blowing 18 to 19 mph with gusts up to 29 mph. What a shame...it was a bright clear beautiful day except for the roaring winds!! We are riding tomorrow at Tyrrell Park so y'all come on down!!!

equiniphile 12-12-2010 10:37 PM

Would love to do that some day.....(minus the Man o wars!!)

smrobs 12-12-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QOS (Post 848956)
We were going to ride today but it was too darn windy. It was blowing 18 to 19 mph with gusts up to 29 mph. What a shame...it was a bright clear beautiful day except for the roaring winds!! We are riding tomorrow at Tyrrell Park so y'all come on down!!!

Wow, can I trade you definitions of windy days?

Please???:lol:

Yesterday evening and early this morning, our winds averaged about 45 to 50 with gusts up to 66.

You are even luckier now that I know that:-P:-P:-P:-P.