The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   I finally figured out what i've been doing wrong. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/i-finally-figured-out-what-ive-72979/)

phoenix 12-12-2010 02:49 PM

I finally figured out what i've been doing wrong.

I brought my horse back into work about a year ago, during that time i've been focussed on him and how he's progressing, so focussed in fact that i forgot about one of the important parts of riding, the rider!

Recently i took video of me riding in the hopes that i could see where i was going wrong and if i could fix it, i posted still from the video on the forum and got some really great advice.

Yesterday i rode for the first time in about 2 weeks (bad weather stopped me riding as our outdoor was really slippery) and decided to focus completely on me and my position for the entire ride. I pulled my leg back, had a good contact with his mouth with my arms in the correct position, tried to use my core muscles more and actually looked where i was going. It was like riding a completely different horse, Phoenix came off his forehand, lowered his head and actually listened to me. He was a little fast because he's been a pasture potato for two weeks but i think that helped, because he was going and actually forward for a change he was giving more from behind and was going on the bit for the first time since i brought him back into work.

I was so pleased. Something so simple i wish i'd videoed myself a year ago.

MaryMary 12-12-2010 09:01 PM

It's amazing what putting your own head in the right spot will do! Once I started looking in ´ncrements around my turns, rather than cranking my head, our whole package became much more balanced.

Glad you figured it out now, even if it seems late to you.

phoenix 12-12-2010 09:55 PM

It's so logical it's almost too hard to figure out! i don't have an instructor to constantly remind me about my position so it just went out of the window and i never dreamed that my laziness would be having such a huge effect on my poor horse.