The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Heeeeere's george ! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/heeeeeres-george-73018/)

JulieinPA 12-12-2010 09:37 PM

Heeeeere's george !

6 Attachment(s)
These are just quick snapshots of him in the middle of the day ... so nothing "portfolio worthy" ... but regardless, HERE HE IS ! ...

equiniphile 12-12-2010 09:38 PM

ACK that baby is so cute!!!

JustDressageIt 12-12-2010 09:41 PM

Nice lighting :) I like the third photo. What's his story? Is he a rescue?

azarni 12-12-2010 09:42 PM

Is there a reason he's that underweight?

JulieinPA 12-12-2010 09:43 PM

I posted about him before - before I got him that is. He is a Saddlebred. He was a race horse in Canada. Then the amish got him and used him for pulling their buggy. He ended up with a fused hock. So the amish sold him to a stable where he was used for a trail horse. Eventually he made it to my friend's home ... and then to mine :) He's a Christmas present for our 6yr old daughter. He's 19 years old and in good shape other than needing to put on some weight, and having a fused hock and perhaps a touch of arthritis in his back right leg when it's cold.

JustDressageIt 12-12-2010 09:50 PM

He's sure got a sweet face. How long have you guys had him for?
Oh, and did you mean Standardbred? Saddlebreds don't race :)

JulieinPA 12-12-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarni (Post 848781)
Is there a reason he's that underweight?

To my understanding, there was a person that got him AFTER the riding stables had him, (and before my friend got him) they undernourished him and didn't take care of him like they should've. My friend runs a rescue ... she ended up getting him from them. She actually only had him for about a month ... and she said he put weight on since she had him. I just got him yesterday. I plan on fattening him up of course. My friend had the vet check him out and the vet said his teeth are fine, and he's healthy besides the weight issue of course, plus he has the fused hock and possibly some arthritis. My plan is to fatten him up with unlimited hay all winter long ... and then by spring I'm hoping that I can start doing some pleasure riding on him (nothing major). That's all he's going to be for - loving on, and pleasure riding.

JulieinPA 12-12-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 848793)
He's sure got a sweet face. How long have you guys had him for?
Oh, and did you mean Standardbred? Saddlebreds don't race :)

Since yesterday :)
That's what I thought to - Saddlebreds are used for dressage, not usually racing, but that's what I was told - that he's a Saddlebred, and he has the "tail" of a saddlebred ... I think he looks like one.

JustDressageIt 12-12-2010 09:56 PM

Good for you guys for rescuing the dear. Please keep us updated on his weight gain progress :) I would strongly suggest talking to the vet about how much exercise or weight he can comfortably do/carry and for how long.

azarni 12-12-2010 09:56 PM

That's good he has found a better home!