The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please Critique My Position (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-my-position-73031/)

horseluver2435 12-12-2010 11:28 PM

Please Critique My Position

Alright, a couple videos, no pictures right now though. Unfortunately we just had a snowstorm and my lesson for tomorrow was canceled, so we'll see when I can get new pictures/videos. These are relatively recent, from the beginning of November.

Please don't critique my horse, just myself.

A few things I already know:
-My hands. I've had a problem since the beginning of fall with keeping my hands level and not tipping them forward.
-Leaning forward. Usually more at the canter than at the trot, but all the same. I think the second video is reasonably better than what it was before, but I'm constantly double checking to see if I'm too far forward.
-Rocking myself. I don't know if this is as awful as I see it, but I notice at the canter I really rock back and forth. Now for me, that's just how I keep my butt in the saddle, but I'm wondering if that's something I should change?

Other details...?
Hmm... not really. Tear me to shreds!

sonnygrl 12-13-2010 11:10 AM

from what i can see you look really good. when your troting your shoulders are back and head is up. your heels are down. and you said you sit to far forward? your upper body is very correct. your sitting up and straight not forward. at the canter i can see where your saying you move back and forth. and actualy thats wat you have to do to sit the canter. but maybe your moving your upper body to much. try to keep all the back and forth motion from your hips down. and for me i would like you to gather your reins a little so your hands will come forward just a pinch. other than that you look really good to me.

horseluver2435 12-13-2010 11:20 AM

Thanks! With the rocking motion at the canter, I was just concerned I was over exaggerating it. :)

ErikaLynn 12-13-2010 11:21 AM

Your position is that bad, your hands are way too low though. They should not be in your lap. Also I think you look like you aren't riding. It seems like you are just sitting there and going with the motion.

You have no contact on the horses mouth..I think your leg looks too far forward...maybe shorten your stirrups up a hole, it may help.

It also looks like you are just flopping on your butt when you are posting the trot. Your posting seems a little forced and you should be posting more forward, instead you are posting straight up.

Your horse has a very nice looking canter, but you aren't riding the canter, you are just sitting there and going with the motion.

Again, your position is nice, you are sitting up straight and your heals are down. But I don't see you being an active rider, you kind of look like you are just sitting there and looking pretty.

sonnygrl 12-13-2010 11:33 AM

her posting is correct. when riding a horse there should be a straight line from the shoulder to the hip to the heel. she very clearly shows the line from her shoulders to her hips. its a very nice line that is clear to see. her leg could come back but she is in a dressage saddle so there is some give and take with that. and her "effortless" look is a wonderful one to have with a horse. nothing looks hard or forced to me it all looks very natural

horseluver2435 12-13-2010 11:54 AM

Alright...
ErikaLynn:
I recognize I wasn't taking a whole lot of contact in these videos- I'm not entirely sure why, usually I do take much more.
With my hands, I'll work on bringing them up. How high should they be?
Can you explain what you mean by 'flopping on your butt'? I guess I'll work on posting forward, I used to have a problem with that, maybe I've relapsed into my old ways.
As for looking 'forced' I can honestly say I don't feel like I'm forcing anything when I ride, though it may look like it. I guess I'll work on that as well, but I've found the more I try to look nice, the worse I look, so I usually am just riding as naturally as possible for me.
When you say I'm just sitting there, I'm sorry, but I'm really not. I may not be a fantastic rider, but I try very hard to make myself and my horse ride correctly, and I am not just sitting there. How can I change my look so I appear to be an active rider?
EDIT: Just remembered, I have shortened my stirrups since this video (this was a month ago), one hole up. I'll try to get more recent videos.

sonnygrl: Thanks for the defense, but I'm perfectly fine with admitting I'm less than excellent. (Really, I'm a far far far far far far far far far cry) I'm actually in an all purpose saddle, and yes, I have wondered if my leg needs to come farther back. I'll definitely work on that- any suggestions how?

ErikaLynn 12-13-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluver2435 (Post 849428)
Alright...
ErikaLynn:
I recognize I wasn't taking a whole lot of contact in these videos- I'm not entirely sure why, usually I do take much more.
With my hands, I'll work on bringing them up. How high should they be?
Can you explain what you mean by 'flopping on your butt'? I guess I'll work on posting forward, I used to have a problem with that, maybe I've relapsed into my old ways.
As for looking 'forced' I can honestly say I don't feel like I'm forcing anything when I ride, though it may look like it. I guess I'll work on that as well, but I've found the more I try to look nice, the worse I look, so I usually am just riding as naturally as possible for me.
When you say I'm just sitting there, I'm sorry, but I'm really not. I may not be a fantastic rider, but I try very hard to make myself and my horse ride correctly, and I am not just sitting there. How can I change my look so I appear to be an active rider?
EDIT: Just remembered, I have shortened my stirrups since this video (this was a month ago), one hole up. I'll try to get more recent videos.

sonnygrl: Thanks for the defense, but I'm perfectly fine with admitting I'm less than excellent. (Really, I'm a far far far far far far far far far cry) I'm actually in an all purpose saddle, and yes, I have wondered if my leg needs to come farther back. I'll definitely work on that- any suggestions how?

I'm sorry if it came across as me saying that you are a bad rider. I think you look really nice and you have a nice position. You have a steady leg, and a nice seat.

It looks like to me, that you just that...a pretty rider. I'm just going by what I see in the video. I think it's how low your hands are that is throwing me off.

You should have straight line from elbow to bit. Your elbows should be bent. Your arms are straight and planted on the horses withers. There is a preference of where to put your hands. I was always taught to keep my hands up so the bit is correctly positioned in the horses mouth.

If you hands are too low, it's kind of like a reward for your horse, because you don't have the correct contact, if any contact at all. Same with if your hands are too high, high hands makes the horse shorten it's stride and positions the bit high in their mouth. Having your hands up high is beneficial if you are jumping. That way you can shorten and length the stride when needed.

I also just think your trot is too straight. You are posting up and down instead of leaning a little more forward. Since you are moving up and down, it looks like you are sitting on your butt more than on your crotch.

Hope I explained myself well enough.

sonnygrl 12-13-2010 12:22 PM

its a metter of muscle memory.... getting your leg into the correct possition and keeping it there untill your muscles learn that this is where is should be all the time. what i did was at the halt place my legs farther under my hips and sat for a few seconds and learned how it felt. while riding i would constantly be checking for that "feel" i established at the halt. and reposition my leg if it had sliped forward. that was just how i taught myself and it does take time to have that leg without thinking about it.

horseluver2435 12-13-2010 12:55 PM

Thank you for clarifying.

I will definitely work on where my hands are. I think riding with gaited horses, I am a little too careful about not having high hands, like they are supposed to.

A few months ago I had posted pictures of myself for critique, and was told I was tipping my pelvis too far forward. Perhaps I have over corrected this?

I really like the idea of halting and keeping your leg where it needs to be to get that 'feel'.
I'll certainly try it once I can ride- it's been around 15* F, so I'm waiting for it to be slightly warmer before I really ride.

VelvetsAB 12-13-2010 01:13 PM

First off...what discipline do you ride in? Dressage or hunters or jumpers?