The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Am I overreacting? (kinda long) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/am-i-overreacting-kinda-long-73125/)

Puddintat 12-13-2010 11:59 PM

Am I overreacting? (kinda long)

Lately I've been a bit irked with the barn I'm at and I'm not sure if I'm just overreacting. I leased a horse from last December up to September of this year. I bought my own horse at the end of August. I'll admit that as a leaser I really didn't pay attention to certain details of the boarding facility which is totally my fault. Before I got a horse I checked with the BO regarding prices for boarding. She told me that its 220 for pasture board and 280 for full board. I being a horse novice relied heavily on her advice as well as others. I also did some of my own research. After I got Dancer I was told that on top of the board I really should pay for him to have bran mash and beet pulp. I understood the reasons and accepted the extra charges even though I felt like this should have been mentioned when we discussed prices. I paid for pasture board for 3 months and decided that I wanted him to have stall board because it was starting to get cold out, etc. I've heard rumors that the stall boarded horses weren't being brought in when it wasn't raining but I never saw it firsthand. I did a surprise visit last night while it was dark and raining and sure enough Dancer was outside in the rain. I understand that he won't melt away but it still made me mad. I spoke with the BO and she said they were out bc she hadn't fed them yet. It rained all day. He should've been in IMHO. He also had his blanket off bc she said it was too warm the day before. I understand the reason but she didn't inform me especially when it is my responisiblity to blanket him myself. Today my mom went out to check on him and he was out in the yucky, wet snow weather and got the same feeding excuse. He did have his blanket on. Then tonight I got a text from the BO with a pic of Dancer in the stall. Am I overreacting? I know its best for the horses to be out as much as possible but I feel like I'm paying for a service I'm not getting. And come to find out that after I got Dancer a few of the boarders that left told me that they left for similar reasons. (They wouldn't say anything before I got him of course.):twisted:

Beau Baby 12-14-2010 12:14 AM

I dunno it depends. What time have you been going out? If they bring in at say 5 pm and you go out at 7 or even 6 and your horse is not in then yes it is a big deal. If they're leaving him out all night when you paid for stall board then yes they're violating your contract and it is very very wrong. Now wit the blanket thing. At my barn if its warm out and all you have is a heavy weight they won't put it on because its not fair to the horse. It is the owners job to have an apporpriate selection of blankets available. Now if you had the same weight blanket as everyone else at the bar and others were blanketed then there is a problem. As for the weather. Horses go out in the rain. At my barn stall horses go out from 7:30-4, rain, snow or shine. If its like -40 celsius and a blizzard we only put them out to clean stals but you get what I mean right?

ShannonSevenfold 12-14-2010 02:44 PM

I kind of agree with you. You are paying for a service that you are not getting. This is why I am moving my mare to a different barn when she comes back off her winter lease. Even though the barn she was at was about $50 cheaper than where she will be going, I am moving her because when I took her there, I was told that she would have the appropriate blanket/sheet put on when needed (ie. raining, windy, etc.). This was never done. And it bothers me. And she is also not getting grain. Which I want her to. So I am willing to pay the extra money. If you are not happy with the service at this barn, I would move. Period.

mls 12-14-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddintat (Post 850521)
Am I overreacting? I know its best for the horses to be out as much as possible but I feel like I'm paying for a service I'm not getting.

Unless your contract specifically states the horses will be brought in at the first rain drop or snowflake - yes you are over reacting.

We had a BLIZZARD on Saturday. Turned horses out in the a.m. per normal. They ran, they bucked, they played and had an absolute blast all day long. Outside they have hay, water and a shelter and the friends of their choosing versus the ones they are 'stuck' next to in the barn.

Alwaysbehind 12-14-2010 03:21 PM

I will start with, if you do not like their theories on horse care, find a barn whose theories you agree with.

The boarding barns near me vary on what weather they turn out in. Some do not turn out if there is a slight hint of precipitation. Others the horses are out unless there is an ice storm of some type. Rain or shine they are out there in their paddocks and pastures.

I would not find it surprising to go to the barn and find a horse still out in the evening. Why not simply ask, "what is your normal schedule for turn out and bringing them in?", instead of sneaking and assuming?

One boarding barn I know of turns out around 10am and they do not come in until 10 or 11 pm. Another they turn out around 8 or 9 am and back in around 4:30pm.

Assuming and listening to gossip will get you no where quick.

If you get facts and you still do not agree with them, then, like I said at the top, find a barn whose theories match your theories.

Puddintat 12-14-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 851210)
I will start with, if you do not like their theories on horse care, find a barn whose theories you agree with.

The boarding barns near me vary on what weather they turn out in. Some do not turn out if there is a slight hint of precipitation. Others the horses are out unless there is an ice storm of some type. Rain or shine they are out there in their paddocks and pastures.

I would not find it surprising to go to the barn and find a horse still out in the evening. Why not simply ask, "what is your normal schedule for turn out and bringing them in?", instead of sneaking and assuming?

One boarding barn I know of turns out around 10am and they do not come in until 10 or 11 pm. Another they turn out around 8 or 9 am and back in around 4:30pm.

Assuming and listening to gossip will get you no where quick.

If you get facts and you still do not agree with them, then, like I said at the top, find a barn whose theories match your theories.

I really don't feel that I'm sneaking and assuming because when I first heard these rumors I decided to make my own decisions. I was told by the BO bc I asked, that when it was cold and/or rainy the horses on stall board would be brought in. It was brought to my attention that one rainy night other horses were in except mine. I could not do anything about it because I did not see this to prove it. I decided to come out one night when it was rainy to check on him. He was out in the cold rain without his blanket on. I was not informed that his blanket was removed (it is our job to put them on and take them off.) I understand why she took it off but I would've still like to have known it was off. I am probably just overreacting, honestly. For all I know Dancer is quite happy outside. He is my first horse afterall. I just wonder why I'm even paying for full board when he is only in every now and then.

Beau Baby 12-14-2010 09:35 PM

If your not getting the services you paid for your not overreacting. Simple as that. Discuss it with the BM and if they say they'll fix it find trusted people who go out often and ask them to check on your horse for you, just a cursory glance. If the agreement is still not being upheld, leave.

Alwaysbehind 12-15-2010 09:45 AM

My point was simply, they might have a different opinion of what cold and rainy are than you do. To you rainy is any time it rains. To them rainy might be heavy freezing rain only.

Talk with the barn owner and go from there.

Do you have a contract? What does it say?

mls 12-15-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau Baby (Post 851775)
If your not getting the services you paid for your not overreacting. Simple as that. Discuss it with the BM and if they say they'll fix it find trusted people who go out often and ask them to check on your horse for you, just a cursory glance. If the agreement is still not being upheld, leave.

Wow. Have people spy on your barn owners.

If you feel it has to come to that - please do leave. As a BO, I would be very uncomfortable with that type of attitude from one of my boarders.

Puddintat 12-15-2010 03:26 PM

I would never have people go out and spy on my horse. I think that is wrong. However, I do think I have the right to pop in and check on him whenever I like to. I'm just going to talk with the BO and go from there. I am going to ask her to please put him in the stall at night and let him out in the a.m., though. I really don't want to start a conflict with anyone about this. I am just concerned as a first time horse owner and wanted to get other people's opinions.