The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Fjord People Wanted! How to feed... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/fjord-people-wanted-how-feed-73136/)

lilruffian 12-14-2010 12:18 AM

Fjord People Wanted! How to feed...

Ok, so i just got my first Fjord last week. My friend's family owns one & i personally LOVE the breed so, pretty exciting for me:D
Anywhoo... i have one other horse, a 16-yr-old Arab who isn't what you'd call an easy keeper in the winter. I feed her atleast 25-30 pounds a day depending on the weather & about 20 pounds through the summer.
I'm just concerned how to feed them together now because Bella (the Fjord) is fat already & i know the breed are very easy keepers. My friend's parents actually keep their Fjord on less than 15 pounds a day, NO supplements, & he's still quite overweight.

If you own one, what are your feeding regimends?
We are planning on getting alfalfa cubes & oats for supplements this winter, but should Bella have any? She really doesn't need the calories...:oops:
Any opinions would be great!

Beau Baby 12-14-2010 12:23 AM

Well I live in freezing Alberta like you, around Edmonton actually. I have a Fjord also. In the winter we give him a full scoop of Sweet Feed. Our scoop is a coffee tin from Tim Hortons, we are so red neck. lol. He gets canary hay which is grass hay but I think a little lower quality. He gets 3 flakes am/pm so 6 flakes a day. In summer he gets no hay, limited time in our pasture, a hard work schedule and half a scoop of complete or sweet feed.

lilruffian 12-14-2010 12:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Beau Baby :-) Your boy is so cute!

Here are some "Chubbs" pics of Bella, just incase anyone wants a reference to her weight... She's got a really big ridge on her neck which is emphasided by her mane, & i know she needs to build more muscle but that will come with time as she's still green.

lilruffian 12-14-2010 12:45 PM

Anyone else???

dressagebelle 12-14-2010 01:22 PM

I know someone who has several fjords, keeping in mind though that we live in Southern Cali, so no snowy winters, and no grass pastures. She feeds them a mix of orchard and bermuda grass, with I believe bermuda pellets. She weighs all her feed, and I believe feeds about 7lbs per meal of the hay, not sure how much pellets she gives. I'll see if I can talk to her in the next couple of days, and give you a more precise answer.

lilruffian 12-14-2010 04:04 PM

That would be great! ty guys

dressagebelle 12-15-2010 12:31 PM

There you go. This is what the Fjord breeder said.
First off ...ALWAYS WEIGH A FJORDS FOOD. A flake of hay could weigh 5lbs to 10lbs & still be considered a flake. Don't feed alfalfa (only a little...less than a pound).

My ideal "fjord diet" for a fat fjord is 5lbs grass hay (I feed 2.5 lbs of Bermuda hay & 2.5lbs of Orchard grass. I don't know what is available in the region of Canada she is in), & in a bucket they get 1lb. of Bermuda/Alfalfa pellets, mixed with a 1/4 scoop of Oat/Mo, & in the am I feed Nu-Image suppliment (1 small scoop), 1/8th scoop Wheat Bran, MSM for my working older fjords, and electrolytes for my fjords that are not big drinkers of water. For the pm feeding I feed the same for hay, but in their bucket they get their 1lb Bermuda/Alfalfa pellets with 1/4 scoop Oat/Mo, & electrolytes again if they are not big drinkers. When it is really hot I feed carrots in their buckets to give them extra moisture in their guts.

lilruffian 12-15-2010 12:38 PM

Thanks, that's great! I wasn't sure whether to feed her the afalfa cubes or not, but she's just on orchard grass right now until i was sure what would be good to feed.
Thankfully my Arab is the boss, so i dont have to worry about Bella pushing her off her food!

Alwaysbehind 12-15-2010 12:45 PM

I would say feed a fjord the same way you would feed any other horse with the same metabolism. So, if your fjord is an easy keeper then feed it like an easy keeper is fed.

And yes, weighing food is a good thing. It is the only way you know how much they are actually getting.

luvs2ride1979 12-15-2010 07:15 PM

I don't have a Fjord, but I have a Haflinger, and they are prone to the same problems. I keep mine on a ration of grass hay. His feed is 1 lb of chopped alfalfa hay with a vit/min supplement and 1/4 cup of flax. No feed, grain, or pellets. We ride him 4-5 days a week to keep him fit. And yes, he's still a bit pudgy, lol.

If you cannot separate them, then you're going to have to battle a hay belly. You could invest in slow feeder nets to at least slow him down, while still giving your mare the hay she needs.