The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   horse riding alone (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-riding-alone-73151/)

down2earth1928 12-14-2010 09:05 AM

horse riding alone

Hi,im new here.Here is what i have.I have a 9yr old paint mare that rides great with any horse,doesnt matter if its a pasture buddy or shes never seen it before but becomes a differant horse if you try riding alone.when alone her head comes up and she looses the calmness she has when ridding in pairs.she acts like she just wants to follow another horse.I want to be able to ride alone but not sure how shes going to be.any advise on what i should do.

SallyRC123 12-14-2010 09:23 AM

Almost every horse prefers riding with other horses rather than by their selves - horses are herd animals. Also, almost every horse will become more 'alert' when riding on their own - after all, they don't have their buddies up front watching out for lions and tigers that will jump out of the next bush and eat them! The thing to remember is to be a strong leader for your horse when you are on your own, stay relaxed and firm. If the horse stops at something, let her look, coax her forward with your leg and make sure she walks past it. Once she realises it wont eat her she will gain confidence. The more you ride out alone the calmer and more relaxed your horse will become on its own :)

mbender 12-14-2010 09:36 AM

Agree! Stay calm and relaxed and just getting out there more will eventually boost her confidence. Make the rides short and progress from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 12-14-2010 09:39 AM

Instead of following the other horse start leading to help boost her confidence. Get her used to different positions in a group and that should help

down2earth1928 12-14-2010 12:38 PM

I have been trying to get her to lead.she does fine tillshes ahead of the other horse.does fine as long as she can see her.

churumbeque 12-14-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by down2earth1928 (Post 851071)
I have been trying to get her to lead.she does fine tillshes ahead of the other horse.does fine as long as she can see her.

I think getting her to be in the lead comfortably would be the 1st step in overcoming your problem.

tinyliny 12-14-2010 01:25 PM

All great advice. When you ride out with another horse, have the leader periodically, and regularly, peel off and go to the back of the line so that the next horse automatically becomes the leader. You are not forcing the follower to go past the leader but rather having the leader go to the rear.
Five minutes later, do the peel off and go to the rear thingy.
AFtre awhile, the horses will be more calm about it because they know that their time in front won't be forever.

It'll get better with time

down2earth1928 12-14-2010 02:05 PM

thanks for all the advise.i havnt had this mare long.my other horses could care less if they are alone or not.

down2earth1928 12-15-2010 03:21 PM

the last couple days i been taking her for walks on a lead.i saddled her up today and took her out alone and she done great,thanks