The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What kind of bit is this? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-kind-bit-73253/)

SidMit 12-15-2010 05:48 PM

What kind of bit is this?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

Can someone tell me what kind of bit this is? I thought it was the dreaded Tom Thumb, but it looks like it has more bend to the shanks then a TT does? So does it have a name? Is it harsh? I do not know a lot about curbs. Thanks!!

Snookeys 12-15-2010 06:06 PM

It looks like a TT to me, just with swept back shanks.

DunOverIt 12-15-2010 06:10 PM

It's a Tomb Thumb. May be something more technical with the shanks. But it's a Tomb Thumb.

Snookeys 12-15-2010 06:12 PM

And OP, Tom Thumbs shouldn't be "dreaded" unless they're used incorrectly. I've used them for years.

Have you been using that bit without a curb strap?

DunOverIt 12-15-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookeys (Post 852993)
It looks like a TT to me, just with swept back shanks.

I agree. I rather love them, and the Jr. Cowhorse.

lilkitty90 12-15-2010 06:21 PM

i love tom thumbs they are excellent i have a more fancy looking tom thumb but it's basically the same thing. and i believe the must be used with a curb strap. and with very light gentle hands set a little lower in the mouth then a usual bit. but thats just my opinion.

Snookeys 12-15-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkitty90 (Post 853027)
set a little lower in the mouth then a usual bit. but thats just my opinion.

While leverage bits don't require as much contact as snaffles, I don't think they should be hung lower. I may be wrong but I've never heard of that. If anyone else has, I'd be interested in hearing more.

And yes a curb strap should be used, otherwise the nutcracker action in the mouth will totally dominate the mechanics of the bit.

lilkitty90 12-15-2010 06:31 PM

i don't mean like inches lower i just mean like half a centimeter or so. not much to make a whole lot of difference. but thats just where i like mine.

SidMit 12-15-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookeys (Post 853005)
And OP, Tom Thumbs shouldn't be "dreaded" unless they're used incorrectly. I've used them for years.

Have you been using that bit without a curb strap?

I haven't been using it. I just found it in my tack stuff and put it on the halter to make the halter hang better for pictures as it is for sale. I want to sell the bit as well and wanted to make sure I knew what it was first.

DunOverIt 12-15-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkitty90 (Post 853038)
i don't mean like inches lower i just mean like half a centimeter or so. not much to make a whole lot of difference. but thats just where i like mine.

I see that more with curb bits (setting a lot lower) But I think, and tell if I'm wrong, what you're saying is a wrinkle less than a snaffle. Amiright?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0