The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   wow he totally amazed me today :D (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/wow-he-totally-amazed-me-today-7327/)

SonnyWimps 03-27-2008 06:25 PM

wow he totally amazed me today :D

Today I went later than I normally do to ride Sonny and to be with him and keep him company. I got there and groomed a 4 year old mare that was lame, then I moved her into a stall (she was originally in the arena) and then went down to get Sonny and bring him up in the pasture.

I spent a good ammount of time in another pasture, looking at it, to see if I'd want to move Sonny into that pasture. After maybe 10 minutes of walking around that pasture, I put Sonny's halter on and brought him up to the arena.

When I got up there, I saw another car in the driveway. I knew who it was immediately. I walked Sonny closer to the arena and saw that the lady who's car that was, Ann, was using the first set of cross-ties and had a young 5 year old on it. The first set of cross-ties blocked all the stalls except the first stall.

Sonny has NEVER been good with stalls, I'd put him in one and he'd go into crazy "let me out of here" mode. He'd literally panic in the stall, he'd weave all the time, stall walk, and he'd pin anyone who went in there to the wall.

So my first reaction was "okay I'll bring Sonny back down and wait till Ann leaves" (Ann isn't the type of person that would move a horse so another person could go in the arena..she'd make them wait), but I thought I'd give it a shot, so I put Sonny in the stall, undid his blanket while I still had a hold of his lead rope. Once I got his blanket off, I took off the lead rope, quickly got out of the stall and shut the door.

He absolutely amazed me!!! He didn't go into crazy mode. AND he even let me tack up and groom him in the stall.

Then also, since Ann was there I couldn't lunge Sonny...so it was either wait until she was done riding or ride Sonny without lunging. I wanted to ride really bad so I just tacked him up and got on him without lunging him (I lunge to see how he's going to act...whether he'll listen well or not).

He behaved far better than he would have if I had of lunged him. He would collect himself easier, with no fighting me or pulling his head up so he wouldn't have to listen. He's stop when I asked him to, and just all around he listened better (though he was more energetic, but I can live with that).

I'm just soo happy...I had to share with everyone :D

appylover31803 03-27-2008 07:01 PM

I'm so glad Sonny behaved so well for you today!!

SonnyWimps 03-27-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803
I'm so glad Sonny behaved so well for you today!!

omg he was a dream!! I never thought he'd be soo well behaved!! I'm going to cherish this day forever (cause I don't think it will happen again hahaha) :lol:

JustDressageIt 03-27-2008 10:21 PM

Hmm.. my gelding used to do that too - he would get all excited if I lunged him first - much more calm when I didn't. I figure it was because he just cantered around on the lunge, working himself up...
It's good you had a good day! I'm hoping for many more like that for you!

PoptartShop 03-27-2008 11:09 PM

Aww that's great!! :D :D Congrats.