The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   My Horse Badly Misbehaves In Western... Any Tips? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/my-horse-badly-misbehaves-western-any-73315/)

monkeyleap 12-16-2010 11:18 AM

My Horse Badly Misbehaves In Western... Any Tips?

I am an English rider, and my horse is English trained, too. He was originally meant to be western, but he takes advantage of me when I only have control of him with one hand. Here is his typical way of misbehaving:

I ride him in the left turn way, and he does a spin that could be balanced on a dime to the right

I push him away

He cuts diagonally across the ring

Repeat until we're done
---------------------------------------

Do you have any tips?

Spastic_Dove 12-16-2010 01:22 PM

How much western training and how old is he?
What kind of bit are you riding in and do you have any training in western.

It sounds to me like he may not be sure of what you are asking him and avoiding you to deal with that.

DunOverIt 12-16-2010 01:31 PM

Western horses start out two handed...

If your horse is just starting out, ride him two handed and tech him to respond to your seat.. neck reining is more about your seat than your bit or your reins.

He's not ready to spin or ride one handed.

equiniphile 12-17-2010 08:36 PM

You can ride a Western horse with direct contact (two hands). That's the first thing they learned and it will help clear things up and brush up on the fine-tunings in this case, I think.

monkeyleap 12-18-2010 07:44 AM

First off, he actually is trained in western and english, but he is really completely trained in english. This boy just won't behave in western, and any other horse would at the barn. Buddy, on the other hand, will not listen to leg cues, direct mouth cues, or ANYTHING. I don't even ask him to spin, and I do Western Pleasure, not reining. I would never ask him to do something he doesn't know how.....He teaches himself.

DunOverIt 12-18-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyleap (Post 854002)
I am an English rider, and my horse is English trained, too. He was originally meant to be western, but he takes advantage of me when I only have control of him with one hand. Here is his typical way of misbehaving:

I ride him in the left turn way, and he does a spin that could be balanced on a dime to the right

I push him away

He cuts diagonally across the ring

Repeat until we're done
---------------------------------------

Do you have any tips?

Again, ride him two handed.

monkeyleap 12-18-2010 10:06 AM

K but my instructor will kill me...Maybe when she's gone away to an IEA show...

Ray MacDonald 12-18-2010 10:41 AM

is he your horse?

DunOverIt 12-18-2010 11:40 AM

Monkey, why would your instructor be upset? Putting a western saddle on a horse doesn't push a button for them. He needs your clear communication. In almost every aspect of the western discipline young and green horses start out two handed in bosals or snaffles. Then graduate from there.

monkeyleap 12-19-2010 02:41 PM

i meant kill me as in ride with 2 hands in western... She says that "He will listen if you tell him and you'll develop a habit for that in shows". And he isn't green, either, as I said.

Here is a quote from the second one of mine: First off, he actually is trained in western and english