The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   how do you slow a fast loper? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-you-slow-fast-loper-73336/)

westerncowgurl 12-16-2010 04:17 PM

how do you slow a fast loper?

some of you have probably seen my other post about my horse being unbalanced, he is doing way better i can finally really feel when he is on the wrong lead or not ! anyway i have another question, im hopeing on showing him next year and western pleasure is my fav class and i think timmy could do really well in this class but theres only one think he lopes fast! he has days when he will lope beautifully (rare days) and most days it feels like he's going to fast. I was wondering if any of you have tips on how to slow him down, my riding instructer is back now so i will start haveing lessons again soon but id like to hear what other people think.
sorry about all the training questions im new to this and i like hearing how other people train their horses.

Plains Drifter 12-16-2010 04:26 PM

Lope, lope and lope him some more. Believe it or not, the more you lope the more he will regulate his speed and start slowing down for you.

westerncowgurl 12-16-2010 04:29 PM

ok i will deffinatly do more lopeing next time i go out to ride, ive been sick so he's had a few days off

sonnygrl 12-16-2010 04:36 PM

dont be sorry we are all here for each other like one big family!!

2 things i did with my paint when i wanted a slower canter was as follows...
canter. canter. canter. canter.canter.canter did i say canter? (or in your case lope) lots of cantering will strengthen his muscles so it will become very easy for him. now it seems like he may be relying alot on speed to keep up the canter. so canter alot think about closing your fingers around your reins and applying a little more contact. as he slows release the contact but if he feels like he is going to drop to a trot or jog... squeeze to keep the canter going.

another thing that help ALOT was transitions. start at the walk. ask for his normal walk. then slow him down a little. then speed it up a lil. so you have 3 tranitions at the walk. (slow/collected, normal, fast/extended) do this at the trot. same thing slow the trot then speed it up. then finaly once you have this masted you can do it at the canter. ask for his normal canter. then slow it down then speed it up. soon you can ask for the slower canter and he will do it perfectly. however this will take time and the longer you do it the more noticable your tranistions will be at each gait. agan this takes some time

and dont ask for the slow speed then fast rite away. maybe go around your ring once at each speed then ask for the transition if that makes sence.

sonnygrl 12-16-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plains Drifter (Post 854349)
Lope, lope and lope him some more. Believe it or not, the more you lope the more he will regulate his speed and start slowing down for you.

haha sorry drifter i didnt mean to steel your lope lope lope and lope some more. you posted yours while i was typing mine haha but at least im no the only one with this method!!

westerncowgurl 12-16-2010 07:52 PM

lol thanks a bunch for the advise i will try this next time i go ride and ill let my instructer know that thats what i want to work on, again thanks :) and ill keep reminding myself lope lope lope!

farmpony84 12-17-2010 10:18 AM

I agree with the lope, lope, lope some more line. One thing though, make sure you are collected. If you are loping on the forehand for a long amount of time, that's not helping you. When you do the downward transitions, back up until you feel his rear end engage and then ask to lope straight out of the back. If you lose the forward motion and become strung out, don't keep going. Transition down and get him collected before loping off again.

Don't worry as much about SLOW as proper movement and consistency. You'll do fine. Good luck!

Brighteyes 12-17-2010 10:29 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread, Westerncowgurl, but I have a very similar question... :oops:

I've been working with a young spotted saddle horse who doesn't know how to canter... Just gallop. When I try to half halt her, she breaks canter and starts gaiting. Should I just get into the round pen and let her gallop it out until she figures out I want her to slow down but not gait?

mls 12-17-2010 11:39 AM

I am going to guess part of the 'fast' is that he is still not balanced. When you ask for the lope, sit down and deep and breath. Have a radio on and listen to the song. Don't focus as much on the horse. At the end of the song, switch directions.

During commercial breaks - do roll backs, side passing, lateral work.

Keep switching things up and he (and you) won't try to rush the schooling.

Big D and Britt 12-18-2010 02:56 PM

If you sit back in your saddle and also do this when you are wanting him to stop this will totaly help i know it helped me alot!!!