The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   does anyone else ride there horse everyday (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/does-anyone-else-ride-there-horse-73338/)

dudey 12-16-2010 04:37 PM

does anyone else ride there horse everyday

i ride my horses everyday for at least an hour minimum was just wondering if anyone else did this

sonnygrl 12-16-2010 04:44 PM

i do. i give him sunday off. but i still brush and spend time with him. he loves people i think it would hurt him more than me if i went a day without seeing him (: but like today it snowed and the ground has been rock solid frozen so ill give it up a few days till its softer. but yes everyday

dressagebelle 12-16-2010 04:49 PM

I used to ride my mare 6 days a week. Always gave her one day off a week, though I would generally still go out and putter around on her bareback just so she was given some attention, or I would spend that day bathing her. I unfortunately can't get out to see my current horse that much, but she could definitely use being ridden/worked every day. For a while I was riding 2-3 horses a day 5 days a week, and was definitely in better shape than I am now.

MissH 12-16-2010 05:10 PM

We train under saddle 45 minutes 5 days a week - typically with two split days off.

Carleen 12-16-2010 09:57 PM

No, but mostly because of my work schedule - it gets dark long before I am off work in the winter. Right now I ride maybe twice a week if I'm lucky, but once it starts getting lighter out I'll ride/work him up to 5 times per week.

ShezaCharmer 12-17-2010 11:07 AM

I work my green horse Charm about 5 days a week for 45 minutes each time. Some weeks it could be 6 days a week one or two of those days 20-30 min of work. Depends how I feel I guess :D sometimes i get lazy.

Katesrider011 12-17-2010 11:18 AM

No, I wish I wish I could, but I can't find the time

SaddlebredGrl 12-17-2010 04:47 PM

In the summer we normally "worked" 3 days, and than played around like trail rides, riding bareback, or doing random stuff 3 days, and driving 1 day. If i don't work my horse he goes nuts. He gets very rude, and pushy. My mom thinks i'm abusing him, but he is a pig if i don't at least get on him and do patterns with him or something. The winter he goes bonkers, so i have to put him on a calming supplement to take the edge off him.

equiniphile 12-17-2010 08:19 PM

I'm sure a lot of people do. I don't, just because I have 4 rideable guys which adds up to a LOT of time in the saddle, and I just don't have that kind of time. My horses are probably each ridden twice a week when the weather's bad like now, and 4-5 times a week in spring/summer/fall.

Rascaholic 12-19-2010 06:59 PM

While I can't ride my gelding yet, I used to ride my mare every day. Mondays were just a quick hop on and bareback around the pasture since it was technically her and my day off:) In the spring/early summer I will be working my guy 6 days a week for about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. This doesn't include his grooming time lol
I wish I had listened to myself about him needing a bit more time off before saddle work. Alas hindsight is 20/20 as they say.