The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   mare-ish/mare-like behavior (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-ish-mare-like-behavior-73387/)

kristinapigen 12-17-2010 05:51 AM

mare-ish/mare-like behavior

Hello out there:D
First sorry for my bad English, I hope you will understand anyway.
We are a group of students in Denmark, we are writing a report about mare-ish/mare-like bahavior, during their mareheat periode.
Therefore we would like to hear your experience with the problem, and how you treat it?

mbender 12-17-2010 07:42 AM

I've never had that experience. I have had 10 mares at one time and the only one that showed signs was my pony. She was clingy to the dominant horse. But no attitude or meanness. I don't think you treat it. You either work with it or leave the mare alone. Depends on the severity of the heat/mare-ish reaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 12-17-2010 08:06 AM

Welcome to the forum!

I've tried to avoid mares over the years for that very reason. Just as in any species, in horses, some mares can be cranky during their cycle; with others, you never know they are in heat.

With the mares I've had that become difficult, I don't really treat them any different. When they need to work, they must work. I'm just a little more cautious with them and try to avoid putting too much pressure on their flanks. They are uncomfortable and I respect that but I won't tolerate a horse that becomes a nightmare (no pun intended).

mooney 12-17-2010 11:41 AM

For me, my own mare, she just "winks" alot and wiggles her fat butt around but that is about it. The best thing for her is lots of exercise and it helps to calm her down. Like Iride said I take in consideration she isn't as comfortable, but I really find it helps to get her moving, even if it is just a 10 to 20 ground work session.

ilovemyPhillip 12-17-2010 01:56 PM

My mare acts like she's in season all year long, she just gets lunged a lot & ridden on occasion. My boyfriend rides her more then I do.

lilruffian 12-17-2010 02:07 PM

There's no real way to "deal" with it i dont think. It's kinda like men trying to "deal" with women when they're PMS'n lol!
My one mare, Chico isn't kicky or squealy but very flirty. When she's in heat & another male horse (stud/gelding) is around she gets super distracted and is constantly nickering for them.
I have a Fjord mare that squeals major when in heat & around geldings & though i havent seen her kick yet, i'm pretty sure she has the potential at that time of the month lol.

Some people don't really like having mares along in a group for a ride, but i've found that the mare isn't always the problem. Alot of the time a bad reaction (squeal/kick) stems from a gelding trying to shove his nose where it doesn't belong, which is the gelding's rider's job to keep him away if the mare might kick.
I've noticed that an in-heat mare can also cause some geldings to become "studdy" and distracted.
I had my mare up on a weeklong mountain trip last summer when she was in heat. She was the only mare there out of 8 horses and the one causing troubles and acting "marish" was actually a 5-year-old gelding, so you get the bad behavior in both genders.

Lakotababii 12-18-2010 10:19 PM

The only thing ive noticed is when my mare comes back into heat for the first time in the spring, she gets a little touchy on the flanks, "flirty" and its a little harder to keep her attention. Usually the more I work her, the better she is, and the next time she comes into heat I usually cant even tell.

PaintHorseMares 12-19-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 855480)
Some people don't really like having mares along in a group for a ride, but i've found that the mare isn't always the problem. Alot of the time a bad reaction (squeal/kick) stems from a gelding trying to shove his nose where it doesn't belong, which is the gelding's rider's job to keep him away if the mare might kick.
I've noticed that an in-heat mare can also cause some geldings to become "studdy" and distracted.
I had my mare up on a weeklong mountain trip last summer when she was in heat. She was the only mare there out of 8 horses and the one causing troubles and acting "marish" was actually a 5-year-old gelding, so you get the bad behavior in both genders.

This is very true. A mare being in season is often a convienient excuse for all sorts of bad behavior, riding, and training. We have three mares and the any slight difference in their behavior while in season is no more apparent than differences due to any of factor (like the weather)...they all still ride and behave fine. They do, however, definately attract the 'boys', even the geldings. Try riding three mares by a pasture full of geldings...that seems to always cause a lot of kicking and squealing while they rush to line up along the fence.

kclarkmnc 12-19-2010 08:39 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site.
I have 4 mares. Two of them are mare-ish during their cycle. They are pushy to the other mares and are a challenge to ride. They ignore the riders first cutes. The cutes must be repeated over and over. They eventually get it. But the rider must be patient and not give up.

rkwells 12-19-2010 01:50 PM

I got my 14yr old mare 1 yr ago last December (my first horse). This spring and summer was our 1st riding season together so were were still in the "getting to know you" phase.

Lilly REALLY wants to mate when she's in season so I guess I'll just go with calling her very flirty.

As a middle age paint she has a very quiet reliable personality generally speaking. However when in season she becomes pretty spooky. Has anyone else noticed out of character jumpy behavior when your mare is in season?