The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I think we are finally bonding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-think-we-finally-bonding-7339/)

horsenaround 03-28-2008 02:53 AM

I think we are finally bonding

We have had our horse Bristol for about 3 weeks now. On our inaugural ride...he dumped me into blackberry bushes *sigh*. Needless to say we got off on the wrong foot. He is herd sweet and had not been ridden in many months SO we had some work to do....and we still have some work to do.
However I have been spending time with him in small amounts several times a day to try and bond with him and it seems to be paying off.
Usually he will sit at the back of his oaddock and whinnie to the horse a few pastures over and God forbid he ever sees the other horse because he forgets all about us and takes off like a crazy man to get as close as he can to the other horse.
Well the past few days he has begun to play with me when I go out to visit with him. This horse wanted NOTHING to do with us when he came here three weeks ago, nothing.
The first time he freaked me out a little bit. I didnt know what he was doing.
I went out and ignored him like usual, just hung out in the paddock until he came to me. Then I pet him and talk to him for a while. Well this time I walked in and walked around and he started to follow me....so I stopped and looked at him and he stopped and looked away. I thought that was odd so I kept on walking....turned around again and he stopped and looked away again. I began to giggle like a school girl. Then I ran away and he chased me! He got close and then slowed up.....walked up to my back and got about 2" from my head and just stood there, silently. So I turned around and he looked away,,,lol. Then he took off ran the paddock and bucked like a young colt. Then he ran back to me, you could see the smile in his eye. He walked right up to me and stuck his head into my chest, rubbing him forehead on me very gently. It was great.
Then next day I went out for another visit and he played the same game again....then next day we played again.
Tonight I went out and he ran the paddock and met me at the gate. He was totally excited. It was so awesome. So yes, we played again except this time we were interrupted by the guy who rents the pasture next to us, they were bringing in some new cattle. Any how I was talking to them and he walks up behind me and nudged me...I had cut the game short. When the nudge didnt work he put his head on my shoulder. After a few min he gave up and went about some grazing. About 15 min later another truck and horse trailer pulled up and they had a horse in the trailer, usually he would run over and whinnie. He did go over and whinnie but when I walked out of the paddock, he left the other horse to follow me. He followed ME!
I am not to proud to say I cried. Yeah like a little girl. So I stayed a little longer and we played for a while. When I left he ignored the other horse. I think we are finally bonding......makes my heart fell full.
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/3170_P3170049_2.jpg

southafrica1001 03-28-2008 03:20 AM

hehe congrats hard work always pays off good luck :D

FGRanch 03-28-2008 08:43 AM

Congrats! Sounds like you are your new boy are forming a very special bond.

Stepher 03-28-2008 09:20 AM

Congrats that is soooo awesome! I love the feeling when a horse walks up to you and WANTS your attention!

Stubborn1 03-29-2008 04:54 PM

OMG how cute is your story. You have done well. Sometimes I think that turning your back and ignoring them does a lot of good.

PoptartShop 03-29-2008 05:44 PM

Aww that's adorable! :D Congrats.