The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Paddock Boots and Half Chaps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/paddock-boots-half-chaps-73425/)

EmilyandNikki 12-17-2010 04:34 PM

Paddock Boots and Half Chaps

So, I have decided that I will be getting paddock boots and half chaps for showing and riding this summer. My reasoning, is simply because I can easily remove the half-chaps, and then put them on before riding/showing, and just have to wipe down my paddock boot. I will eventually get a pair of tall boots, but not yet.

So question one, wold you mix and match half-chaps and paddock boots?(paddock boots from one brand, half chaps from another)

Second, is half-chaps and paddock boots a better idea then just going out and buying tall boots?

My second question is for around $100CDN in ariats what would you recommend?

I seen a really nice pair of ariats that would cost me about $109CDN, but were comfy but had a more show boot design. I think they were one of the heritage styles.

tinyliny 12-17-2010 10:41 PM

In my opinion, paddock boots and half chaps makes a lot of sense.

Tall boots are expensive and make you feel inhibited, due to needing to take such good care of them.

There is not issue to mixing brands, just stay with one color and if you are showing, keep it clean and simple, no foo-foo.

I love Ariat products. I would get the best you can afford. The boots with Cobalt technology are very comfy. You want something that is also comfortable for walking/working in the barn. I prefer lace up, but zip ups are alos nice, It's just a personal thing.
Ariat half chaps stretch out a fair amount so error on the side of tight if you need to choose.
I love my Grand Prix half chaps. They lasted for about 5 years of heavy riding but then the stitching gave out. I prefer half chaps that zip from the top downward, but it isn't essential.
Also, if you get the kind that have a kind of "flap" that goes both over the instep of the foot and down the back of the heel, these will make it hard for you to wear spurs properly. I never wear spurs, but when I did once try, I couldn't with my Grand Prix half chaps on.

That's all I know about those two items. Good luck!

Meagan 12-24-2010 11:32 PM

I have the ladie's heritage III boots and the concord chaps (both are from ariat) and I love them! They were so easy to break in and I always get compliments on how they look just like tall boots. (Plus I've had no problem wearing spurs with them.)

Beau Baby 12-25-2010 02:52 PM

I agree with Tinyliny. If your only showing in the low levels you can get away with half chaps and paddock boots. If your showing in them make sure to get the leather half chaps not nylon, they just look more like boots. I'd go for black but its your choice. Don't mix colors, brands you can mix. If you don't have a lot of money it is a good idea to get half chaps and paddock boots because they're cheaper and you won't be as stressed to take care of them.

I have never had Ariats but from what I hear they are the best. I usually go with Saxons cause I don't have a lot of money. My now dead pair lasted 3 years.

hflmusicislife 12-25-2010 10:51 PM

I suppose if you're doing very low level shows, half chaps and paddock boots will be fine, but just as a warning, if you do anything even remotely close to rated you won't pin and people will look at you funny. (I know, horse showing is such an unfair sport:/ ) I have ariat for both (no clue what specific name because I got both 2+ years ago) and I absolutely love them. They last forever and are super comfy. Also, if you find some you like that are good quality but a little more money than you wanted to spend, get them anyway. Especially if you won't outgrow them (I don't know how old you are...) It's better to spend a little extra for better quality than end up having to replace cheap ones ever year.

eventerdrew 12-25-2010 10:53 PM

Ariat heritage paddocks and Dublin easy care half chaps!

ariats last FOREVER and are great to work in. The half chaps have lasted me well and were under $30!

EmilyandNikki 12-26-2010 11:49 AM

I am only showing low level. I just want to get the feel of show grounds, and get most the gear so I can show low-level while in post-secondary. I won't outgrow the boots(I'm 17), so I want something practical that isn't as restricting as tall boots.