The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grow That Tail: Any suggestions? Good products? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grow-tail-any-suggestions-good-products-73491/)

DressageIsToDance 12-18-2010 03:55 PM

Grow That Tail: Any suggestions? Good products?

My soon to be horse has a tail that is shorter than I'd like. It's not stubby or thin. She actually has a GREAT tail as far as the quality goes. It's silky as human hair. Smooth and full.

I have always liked a banged tail, because I personally think it makes things look neat and tidy. I won't be pulling, for various personal reasons. But I do wish to bang it; I just don't want to do so until I can grow it out.

It's not THAT short. It's a little higher than her fetlocks. I'd just like to put 3-4 inches on it before I bang it. So it's not like I want a massive amount of growth.

Anyone know of any proven products/methods that could give me that by the spring/summer? She will be making her show-ring debut in our area, and I want her to look nice from day one. You know what they say about first impressions. :wink:

Brighteyes 12-18-2010 06:21 PM

Definitely mud knot and bag. It keeps everything tangle free and prevents breakage. Also, use ghetto hair products. Olive Oil Sheen, PINK brand stuff, coconut oil... Supplements used for hooves also help hair growth.

DressageIsToDance 12-18-2010 06:30 PM

Pink? PINK? :lol:

I thought I was the only person who used that stuff on tails. Of course, I didn't know it promotes growth, but it makes sense now that I think about it. I have always used it because it makes a great detangler/shiner without being too oily.

I did consider biotin supplements! She recently had her shoes pulled, and is still a little tender, so that could be a win win for her.

equiniphile 12-18-2010 07:34 PM

M-T-G works well, just keep the tail in a bag and apply it to the roots.

AislingxXx1234 12-21-2010 04:44 PM

All my horses/ponies have the best tails in the barn and I'm proud of that! :D
All it takes is to just let it be and when it is muddy, put some Cowboy Magic Detangle and Shine in, detangle it with a brush NOT a comb, and braid it. Take it out once the ground isn't muddy and it won't get dirty. Basically, do nothing...lol But using the things people are saying, may work a little faster :P

Tymer 12-21-2010 07:14 PM

People hair brushes (the paddle kind) tear out less hair than horse specific brushes. Helps keep the tail fuller. Even so, hold the tail and start at the bottom and work to the top, and MAYBE once or twice brush all the way from top to bottom.

Prayingcowgirl 12-21-2010 07:56 PM

At the health food store you can buy coconut oil, i haven't used this, but they say it promots growth and makes tails very shiny :)

Gidget 12-21-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 856711)
Definitely mud knot and bag. It keeps everything tangle free and prevents breakage. Also, use ghetto hair products. Olive Oil Sheen, PINK brand stuff, coconut oil... Supplements used for hooves also help hair growth.

I use pink on my hair!
I have really curly hair and I go to the store and buy those types of products.
They work the best on me and my hair looks good. If I don't put anything in it I pull it in a pony tail.

I like to use coconut oil on Gidget. It makes it smell awesome and leaves it really soft! I actually use the hoof conditioner that is by twinkle toes..it's beeswax and coconut oil with sparkles :D

myhorsesonador 12-21-2010 08:05 PM

Best video ever. REally shows you how to do a tail.

Gidget 12-21-2010 08:38 PM

THAT IS AWESOME! I'm going to do that =D