The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   quick question.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/quick-question-73533/)

xxEmilyxx 12-19-2010 01:06 AM

quick question..

OK. This has been bothering me for a while...

Is cremello and albino the same thing? If not, what is the difference?

Chiilaa 12-19-2010 01:19 AM

Nope.

Cremello is a double dilute - they have blue eyes and pink skin. However, their coat isn't actually white, it is a light cream colour.

Albino is the absence of any colour at all. The coat will be put white, and the eyes will be pink too since it restricts colour there too.

trailhorserider 12-19-2010 02:10 AM

I've heard there is no such thing as true (pink eyed) albino horses.

Does anyone know if that is accurate?

Chiilaa 12-19-2010 09:39 AM

There have been no documented cases of albino horses, no.

CheyAut 12-20-2010 03:38 PM

Technically, the creme gene is a form of albanism ;)

But a cremello would not be considered an albino, no.

Chiilaa 12-21-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheyAut (Post 858467)
Technically, the creme gene is a form of albanism ;)

But a cremello would not be considered an albino, no.

That makes sense when I think about it... Did you know that Siamese in cats is also a form of albino?

I love genetics lol

Trinity3205 12-21-2010 11:38 AM

There is no such thing as albinoisnm in horses. There ARE however white horses out there with light blue or almost whiteish pink eyes or other oddly colored eyes. A maximumally expressed sabino for example will be completely white with light blue or odd eyes. I wouldnt call a double dilute an albino either as technically he IS a color, just had a double dose of dilution on top of it.

So far as we know or have seens o far, EVERY horse in the world has a base color of either black or red. That black or red base color is simply modified or covered up by other genes in many many ways and many many combination of ways.

I have seen some strange colors in teh gaited horse world. There is alot of sabino, dilutes and also champane genes floating around and everyone likes color so you see some crazy stuff. Color genes are amazing to me and a fun puzzle sometimes.

Chiilaa 12-21-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity3205 (Post 859457)
There is no such thing as albinoisnm in horses. There ARE however white horses out there with light blue or almost whiteish pink eyes or other oddly colored eyes. A maximumally expressed sabino for example will be completely white with light blue or odd eyes. I wouldnt call a double dilute an albino either as technically he IS a color, just had a double dose of dilution on top of it.

So far as we know or have seens o far, EVERY horse in the world has a base color of either black or red. That black or red base color is simply modified or covered up by other genes in many many ways and many many combination of ways.

I have seen some strange colors in teh gaited horse world. There is alot of sabino, dilutes and also champane genes floating around and everyone likes color so you see some crazy stuff. Color genes are amazing to me and a fun puzzle sometimes.

Pretty sure that Chey Aut knows that it isn't true, pink eyed albino. However, some animals have albinism without the pink eyes and true white hair. Like I said, Siamese cats are actually displaying albino genes. Just because it presents pink eyes white hair in some species, does not mean it does in every species.

myhorsesonador 12-21-2010 07:37 PM

There is such a thing as a leathal white, but I am not edgucated(SP) on the mater.

Chiilaa 12-21-2010 07:40 PM

Even a LWO foal has blue eyes :)