The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping my mini's bridle path (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-my-minis-bridle-path-73534/)

horsegirl11 12-19-2010 12:09 AM

Clipping my mini's bridle path

Okay, so I just got a mini and I'm going to show him in 4-H and maybe a few mini shows. I plan on doing showmanship and driving. I've seen pictures of some minis with little bridle paths and others with long bridle paths that seem to take up most of their neck. Is there a general rule of thumb for mini bridle paths? Is it based on what you do with them? He has a pretty neck.. does that have anything to do with it? Please give me input if you show minis! I don't want to do it wrong! lol Thanks! :)

crimson88 12-19-2010 12:45 AM

Generally you just clip them to whatever suits your horse best. A short necked horse will benefit a long bridle path, as it will "enlongate" it's neck. a Normal or long necked horse should look fine with a 2 ear length clip. For a two ear length clip: measure the horse's ear, double it and thats the length you clip off. Mainly its just personal preference though and what you think looks best on your horse, so there really is no set "rule" to follow.

horsegirl11 12-19-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimson88 (Post 857107)
Generally you just clip them to whatever suits your horse best. A short necked horse will benefit a long bridle path, as it will "enlongate" it's neck. a Normal or long necked horse should look fine with a 2 ear length clip. For a two ear length clip: measure the horse's ear, double it and thats the length you clip off. Mainly its just personal preference though and what you think looks best on your horse, so there really is no set "rule" to follow.

awesome! thank you!

Vidaloco 12-19-2010 04:48 PM

I do a one ear clip on Vida and Saro. I think it looks nice. I'm sure if your mini is typical he has a thick mane. Thats why I do my girls. It just so much easier putting halter/bridle on not having to deal with all that hair.

SoMuchManureSoLittleTime 12-19-2010 06:28 PM

I do not know the fashion in 4H shows, but in AMHA and AMHR shows, trainers often clip quite a bit down to show arch of neck and to emphasize the throat latch.

Good luck with your mini. They are a real joy.

Tymer 12-19-2010 08:20 PM

My horse has a thin mane, so I do as little as possible. I clip only as much as the halter will cover.