The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   How much would it take to start a barn? More details in question. (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/how-much-would-take-start-barn-73599/)

thumpthump 12-19-2010 10:19 PM

How much would it take to start a barn? More details in question.

Hello,
Sorry I am copying this off of yahoo answers I wrote it on there too. Btw I'm new to the forum so Hi we have 12 animals. 3 horses, 3 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 birds. Horses are my life and I really just want to learn off of this forum and my lessons.

I want to start my own farm when I am older this isn't a phase I have wanted this for four years, but now I want to start realistically thinking about it.

Here is what I am thinking: (To start off with)

5 horses
- Lessons
- Boarding
- Training
I want to have my farm where I live so only one property. I want to have 3 fields and 20 paddocks. I would like 4 indoor stalls just to be safe. I would also need a round pen for training and an indoor and outdoor arena. Indoor could be smaller about the size of a larger round pen.

Finances:

- Feeding
- Vet Bills
- Farrier

Anything I am missing?

So my main questions are:

How much is the rough estimate for something like this? (I know I can't have it all right away)
and
Am I thinking straight? Have I thought of everything?

Reiterin 12-20-2010 09:09 PM

Welcome to the forum.

That is a great dream. I don't know how old you are or where you're at in your dream. It'll take a lot of saving to get started from scratch. I can't give you much help or advice, but good luck with your dream.

~*~anebel~*~ 12-21-2010 12:01 AM

A guy I know said a great thing the other day (he owns and runs a boarding facility): "I never realized it, but when I built this place, I married it".

It is very true. You have to be prepared to put the hard work in every, single, day. Including Christmas, during your best friend's wedding, during your friends' summer holiday adventures, etc.. etc.. You will be at the farm, taking care of the horses.
Not to mention the financial commitment and the fact that just to break even running a boarding stable (let alone making a living!) is next to impossible. I don't know of one barn that makes enough money to put food on the table. They all have spouses or parents supporting them with a "real job".

So good luck! But it is not the fairytale life you are dreaming of...

Spastic_Dove 12-21-2010 12:10 AM

Don't forget insurance and upkeep.
Unfortunatly I don't have a good estimate for you but you're going to need some serious capital.

If you end up doing it, start small and only with the essentials and then work your way up.

Good luck!

Tasia 12-21-2010 12:47 PM

Are you giving lessons/training? Thats a huge statement alone. Think about it trainers work day after to day to become better horsemen and it is commen mistake that the averge beggiener can just start training horses one day. You can not. I would try to find a pro trainer you can learn under.

vikki92 12-22-2010 12:41 PM

You will have to pay taxes & of course light/water bills.
I too had the same dream!! i even made alist & drew pictures lol :) but then i started college & got ingagned so now my dream to to live on atleast 10 acrs with a 4 stable barn, I have six horses but i know my dad is not gonna let me take all of them lol so ill i guess i can leave him 2 lol.
but any ways, i hope all goes great & works out, and like spastic_dove said start out small & work your way up :) good luck :)

Shortpygmies 12-22-2010 06:31 PM

our barn recently blew down onto our horses due to 85 mph winds it was a terrible accident we lost one horse but anyway we just got one of the quotes for a 40'x60' barn 4 stall with room for a loft, buggy storage, hay storage, an indoor wash rack, and 4 stalls and if i'm correct the quote was somewhere in the range of $15,500. but obviously you wouldn't HAVE to build a barn you could always find one already on a property. I might come back with some pics later if you'd like to see the barn that we're sort of copying off of in design