The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   trail ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trail-ride-7362/)

arastangrider 03-29-2008 02:59 AM

trail ride

do you trail ride your show horse

AKPaintLover 03-29-2008 03:25 AM

For sure! :)
I trail ride all of my show horses. I think there are valuable lessons that cannot be learned any where but on the trail. I also think it is great for keeping their endurance up. It is also good for their mind... keeps them from getting burned out on typical training (we still have mini lessons on trail). Also, it is just plain enjoyable. :)

Delregans Way 03-29-2008 05:10 AM

Oh yeh for sure! Gets them out and about, use to new surroundings, very essential when traveling when your showing.
I dont know why anyone wouldnt... :roll: :)

upnover 03-29-2008 10:39 AM

absolutely! it's good for everyone's minds to get a break from the arena and good training to be equally comfortable in other places. Plus, it's FUN! In fact, I'm off to a trail ride right now!

WadiDraa410 03-30-2008 02:48 AM

My trainers are against it and so I am not allowed, too.
but
personally I am all for it. I believe that every horse should get out of their working mode at least once or twice a week. Either it be trail riding, or if you ride dressage hop your horse over a few jumps, or go for a little gallop across a field.
I wish I would be able to do that with my horse.

Julia Slater 03-30-2008 05:41 AM

Trail riding is a valuable place to get your horse used to all kinds of distractions. For me, this is a great opportunity to prepare my horses for the busy show ring atmosphere.

But I understand WadiDraa410s trainers. Trail riding is also a place where a rider sometimes lets his horse goof around. Expecting intense focus on the rider during the entire length of the trail ride is kinda counterproductive. But that is what show horses are trained to do. So most trainers would rather not trail ride.

Rachluvshorses4eva 03-30-2008 05:54 AM

I said no, because I don't have a horse. But if I did, I would SO go on trail rides at least 3 times a week. I love going for trail rides and it keeps you relaxed and makes a good bond between you and your horse. It also gives you a break from the arena and I'm sure the horses would love the nature and sounds.

WildFeathers 03-30-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WadiDraa410
My trainers are against it and so I am not allowed, too.
but
personally I am all for it. I believe that every horse should get out of their working mode at least once or twice a week. Either it be trail riding, or if you ride dressage hop your horse over a few jumps, or go for a little gallop across a field.
I wish I would be able to do that with my horse.

You're not allowed? Why? Is it your own horse?

tim 03-30-2008 02:24 PM

I could see why some english show horses might not be ridden on trails, but mine is western so I think it's valuable experience for him.

AKPaintLover 03-30-2008 02:49 PM

English or western, I think that the change in scenery and activity is the most valuable factor. I tend to work on many arena lessons on the trail as well (steadiness of gate, head set, and overall riding manners).

Additional lessons are learned too, as said above - getting used to new surroundings.

Trail riding is just a different learning experience than arena riding, but in my opinion just as valuable if you take it seriously.