The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Is this a good horse????? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/good-horse-73631/)

Dock 12-20-2010 10:18 AM

Is this a good horse?????

I am a intermediate beginner. And looking at buying an azteca mare 18 yrs. old. She is light on her cues. What exactly does that mean, and would it be bad to get a horse light on there cues for an intermediat begginer?

horsegirl11 12-20-2010 10:57 AM

Well it would be hard to judge without knowing anything more, but shes kind of getting up there in years. You would definitely need to have her vet checked to make sure they aren't selling her because shes lame or has some other problems. My horse is 20 and still acts like he will live forever! So her being 18 might not be that big of a deal. And older, experienced horses always make good first horses. Just make sure that you aren't overpaying.. remember that she probably only has like 5 years left before she is going to start slowing down.. or less! (Depending on the breed/ care. I don't kno much about that breed.) Also, consider what you will be doing with her. Jumping is harder on old joints than trail riding.
And light on her cues probably just means that she is very responsive. That would be fine for you as long as you could adjust to a horse that didn't need to be kicked to get moving! (which I'm sure you could!) The best thing to do would be to bring your instructor or an experienced friend to look at the horse with you.

sarahver 12-20-2010 10:57 AM

Hey, would love to help more but we really need a lot more info! If the horse is advertised, can you post a link to the advertisement?

Other info that would help is:
-What the horse is trained to do
-What the temperament of the horse is like
-What the horse is currently doing (i.e. lesson horse? personal horse)
-A photo of the horse would be great to we can see her conformation

And some more info about you:
-How long you have been riding
-What you can do now
-What you are working towards and you goals for horse riding
-If you are working with a trainer
-If you have had horses before

As for your question about whether having a horse light on cues is bad for a beginner, well it really depends. Being light on cues means different things to different people. So I might say my horse is light on cues but to someone else she may seem rather heavy. Also it depends on your cues and how you have been trained. Being light on leg cues is fine for a beginner as long as you learn the appropriate cues for the horse and receive regular instruction so that you are headed in the right track.

Jacksmama 12-20-2010 11:32 AM

The life expectancy for an Azteca is 25-30 years, so she could still have several good years in her. If you could send us the link as mentioned above we could give you a few more thoughts. They are a gorgeous breed though, Andalusion Criollo and Quarter horse.

My2Geldings 12-20-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dock (Post 858218)
I am a intermediate beginner. And looking at buying an azteca mare 18 yrs. old. She is light on her cues. What exactly does that mean, and would it be bad to get a horse light on there cues for an intermediat begginer?

Going with an older horse is a great idea if you are not very experienced(yet). My first horse was an older mare as well, so she taught me everything.
The posts already posted, already covered all the important things, so I wont post them again, but I will suggest to bring someone experienced with you if you can. Are you currently taking any lessons? do you have a trainer that could come along with you? do you have a friend that could come and give you some advice? trying the horse as well would allow you to find out if you are a good match with the horse and trying out the horse a few more times after that(if the owners allow it).

Good luck with the horse shopping.

Gizmo 12-20-2010 05:30 PM

I agree that going with an older horse is a good idea. Being light on cues though, you want to make sure that your legs and hands are good. That means she is very responsive and is going to pick up on any little thing you do. The best thing to do it go see her and ride her for a while. I rode my horse for two hours the first time and an hour the second time before I decided that I wanted him.