The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   4H Rules? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/4h-rules-73639/)

BarrelRacer86 12-20-2010 10:57 AM

4H Rules?

So I was told that I can't give lessons and be paid for them and still show in 4H, it makes me techincally a professional. But also being paid to ride other people's horses does too, I've already done that. It was a 4Hers horse and I still showed. I've never read that in the handbook, and I've lost my handbook to go back and check it. I know that's AQHAs rules, but would that really apply to 4H? I'm also located in the US btw

HorseOfCourse 12-20-2010 11:05 AM

I wouldn't think so.. There was a girl that showed her minis in my 4-H group and she had a few world titles with them..
Posted via Mobile Device

horsegirl11 12-20-2010 11:18 AM

It would depend on the state i think. But no, they're just jealous that you're giving lessons! haha Theres plenty of people who give lessons in my group, actually all of the older members give lessons/ train horses/ train and sell horses. Thats only true for AQHA.

mooney 12-22-2010 10:31 AM

When I was in 4-h you just weren't allowed professional help in your projects. Like you have to shave your own animals, train them to square up, bath them that type of stuff. If someone in 4-h lets you ride their horse in a show, that might attachly get them in trouble, if your considered a "professional" because they are suppose to do the work.

Alwaysbehind 12-22-2010 11:11 AM

You are going to have to check with your local leaders.

I admit I am not sure what your question about being a professional has to do with having world titles.....

HorseOfCourse 12-22-2010 11:45 AM

Don't you get some form of money prize I'd you win a world title?

And also, mooney, do you mean that you couldn't have a trainer or take lessons when you were in 4-H? I hunk that'd be crazy!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bre 12-22-2010 11:53 AM

I was told the same exact thing, that you can not train or do lesson because that would make you a professional. That never stopped me because it was cash not like I was running a professional business and paying taxes. LOL I laughed when a 4h leader approached me on that, there was nothing that the board could do to prove that I was making momey.

ShezaCharmer 12-22-2010 11:54 AM

Yes that is a rule.

if you either a.) get paid to show another persons horse or b.) give lessons for money you are considered proffessional and are not allowed to show in 4H.

my friend recently had to look up this rule. But it may be different for your area.

Alwaysbehind 12-22-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseOfCourse (Post 860856)
Don't you get some form of money prize I'd you win a world title?

I would guess the horse is technically winning the money at a mini show.

HorseOfCourse 12-22-2010 12:00 PM

I don't know, I just figured thatd have to make you some sort of professional because it's not like the horse is going to spend it :P
Posted via Mobile Device