The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curb bits Arghhhh!

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DGW1949 
#1 ·
I HATE curb bits, that is what my horse has now
and he is having problems with it, he hates the darn
thing and refuses it completely and I don't blame him.
Because of it, I haven't rode him in two days for fear of
hurting him. I don't plan on using it again...

I am getting a different bridle or bit piece, thinking
a snaffle, but more than likely will get a straight bit. :(
Would like to use a hackamore honestly, it would be
easier for me to work with but I don't believe my horse
has ever used one before and may act up.

#2 ·
Learn what curb bits are for before you trash them. They are for western finished horses, where they work off of the rein pressure and leg pressure. You aren't supposed to use direct contact in a curb bit, it only pulls ones way--back (unless you have a broken one... but they're a different story all together). ANY bit can be harsh in the wrong hands, even a snaffle. You are putting metal on a horse's gums. It's sensitive.
You don't put a curb bit in a young/untrained horse unless you're a crappy trainer.

#3 ·
mayfieldk said:
Learn what curb bits are for before you trash them. They are for western finished horses, where they work off of the rein pressure and leg pressure. You aren't supposed to use direct contact in a curb bit, it only pulls ones way--back (unless you have a broken one... but they're a different story all together). ANY bit can be harsh in the wrong hands, even a snaffle. You are putting metal on a horse's gums. It's sensitive.
You don't put a curb bit in a young/untrained horse unless you're a crappy trainer.
I know what they are for, however I have no
purpose for one right now. Also, I worked with
a snaffle today and it WAS a big improvement.
Also, I am not a trainer, I am just a mere
beginner rider trying to do whats best for
my horse. :)

#4 ·
I work in a snaffle, I feel a bit :lol: more comfortable with a snaffle, since a little shetland I work with has no idea what the heck neck-reining is! She responded better without the curb; I used her halter (which was too big) and two lead ropes, and she was waaayy better, exept you have better control with a bit. You don't have to get a whole new bridle, just take the chinstrap and curb bit off the headstall, replace it with a snaffle and there you go, if you havn't done that already :oops: . My bridle that I got used was a western headstall, snaffle bit and a chinstrap :roll: .

#5 ·
I love a curb bit. I like that I can just wiggle my little finger and get a response. Agreed they are for a trained horse and not for a beginner rider. Figure the force you use in a curb is doubled from what it is in a snaffle. I prefer the horse go off my leg rather than the bit anyway. I also like the headset I get with the curb.
As said many times, either can be cruel in the wrong hands.

#6 ·
I kinda agree with what Vidaloco said.
I'd wager a bet that 90% of the horses I see are being rode with a curb bit. My 2 were trained with a curb bit and have suffered no ill effects.... but they do neck-rein.
As a matter of fact, I'm so dumb that untill I joined this forum, I thought that ALL horses were trained to neck-rein. :roll: .

And just as a point of interest......
I've more recently figured out that both of mine ride fine without a bit at all..... which I attribute to their earlier training.
In other words, they learned early-on that neck-reining and light snout-pressure is much preferable to recieving messages through the bit. So now they just do it without one.
I found that to be very interesting.

I guess an old guy can still learn.
DGW

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.