The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Any good boot suggestions? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/any-good-boot-suggestions-73653/)

Gizmo 12-20-2010 04:13 PM

Any good boot suggestions?

Hello, I am going to start riding Gizmo again after he foundered. We are starting out really light in a field. I wanted him to have all the support he could have on his legs. What is a good boot? And if it came in lime/neon green that would be great too, that is our color. :)

RitzieAnn 12-23-2010 12:17 PM

Like sneakers? Maddy rides in Cavallos. I love them. Stays on in mud & stuff. Only "problem" is they are deep, so they 'clop' when she walks. Lol. Just need the inserts. They don't rub on her & she has never gotten sore on the hoof or ankle from wearing them. Including our 6ish mile trail ride in the mountains.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gizmo 12-25-2010 08:33 PM

No I am thinking more like splint boots or combination. I don't know know anything about them. Just something that will give him some support on his legs and also he trips on himself all the time I thinks its because he steps on himself and I want to protect his legs from that as well. I have wanted to get them before he foundered but just don't know what the heck to get or what brand is good or anything.

Deej 12-26-2010 12:54 PM

Hi Gizmo! I been doing a lot of research on the "Sports Medicine Boots". I'm sure thats what your talking about? Anyway, I will be purchasing A set of "Ven Tech Elites".. By all accounts they seem to be the best thing out there at this time. They are expensive but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. In most cases!!! LoL. Professional Choice makes them along with some other types. But the "Elite" Line seems to be the best, They have darts that will allow the boots to stay put, and they also have fronts and backs. Most boots are made for either feet. Check them out on line. Google, Ven Tech Sport Boots and you will find a lot of info on them. I'm ordering mine tomorrow! Can't wait. Good luck...

Gizmo 12-26-2010 05:10 PM

Thank you. That is what I am looking for.

Deej 12-26-2010 05:25 PM

Let me know what you find out!!! K?

Gizmo 12-26-2010 06:08 PM

Yeah, they seem really awesome, they don't have any lime green though :( but in that line they have some lime green ones that I was looking at but below the Elite. That would probably be good enough for what we are doing. We just trail ride don't event or anything like that.

Deej 12-26-2010 06:57 PM

Oh Good! I'm glad you found what you were looking for. And I do give you and your horse credit for "Just Trail Riding"... I'm a trail rider too and I think our horses are just as fit and brave, probably braver then most eventing or other show ring horses!!! Although I do love them all!

QOS 12-26-2010 08:09 PM

My stablemate's horse foundered this past spring. She started lightly riding him a few months ago. She is riding him in Easy Boot Gloves. We rode together today out at a local park and it was muddy in some places as it rained for two days prior. They didn't come off but she did say that she has to soak them to get the mud out - she told me that while we were picking our horses hooves half way through the ride!

Gizmo 12-26-2010 09:39 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that they would kinda get mud and stuff stuck in there. And with the snow and everything I would rather have his feet natural because I don't want it packed in there. I'm so thankful that with quick reaction and everything I did quickly to stop his rotation he did not rotate or not very much anyways. I have rode him two days in a row for a like twenty minutes each time and he has shown no signs of pain or lameness or any kind of stagger. Actually yesterday he tried to canter on and and today he was being and HUGE brat and didn't want to listen to anything. He wanted to go for a ride all over instead of sticking to the field. lol. He is such a dork sometimes.