The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Beginner; critque my jumping the best you can! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/beginner%3B-critque-my-jumping-best-you-73700/)

Meagan 12-21-2010 03:49 AM

Beginner; critque my jumping the best you can!

I'm super nervous about posting this but...
I know the quality/view of this video isn't the best I could offer, but I just had my cell phone propped on the arena wall recording so I'm sorry!
I'm taking lessons weekly and I'll be purchasing this horse at the end of January, so I'll have alot more practice. (This was a day I just got to goof off on my own so my trainer wasn't correcting me through this entire hour,)

After watching this, I realize I'm alot worse off than I thought :oops:
Things I've noticed: My leg is wayyy too far back half the time we're going over and I sit down too early, therefore popping him in the mouth.
Ya'll are welcome to tear me apart as long as you can tell me how to fix it!
Thankssss.

Coley 12-21-2010 04:04 AM

From what i've seen in this video with it being quite far away your jumping before your horse using your legs to push yourself up your horses neck, your hip angle is quite closed your sitting rather upright, first i would do alot of riding without sturrups to get really deep in the saddle, when your jumping to get a really nice position push your heels down and foward to keep your legs at the girth, lean from your hips, like a hinge, come out of the saddle slighty but make sure not to do his fowards and push your hands up your horses crest and give with your hands on the landing. Hope this helps :)

Uma 12-21-2010 11:45 AM

You noticed two biggest things with your position and I congratulate you on that. That's the best way to learn, noticing your own faults.

To fix the things you noticed I would recommend working a lot in two point. When you are going to the get in your two-point about 3 or 4 strides out and hold it. Focus on sinking your weight down into your heels and keeping your leg at the girth ( your toes should be about in the middle of the girth).
Also its not a bad thing to grab mane! I would recommend it so you don't fall back too soon, hit your horse in the mouth and fall on hid back.

Something else to think about is maybe cantering in to the jump. (I only watched the first quarter of it). With a little more energy your horse might not make so much of a "pop" over the jump, making it more comfortable and easier to stay with him.

I really like that you are looking ahead and keeping your back flat. I also like that you are keeping your horse straight. (Something my horse and I are always working on). Keep up the good work!