The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Should you rename a horse or not? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/should-you-rename-horse-not-7373/)

Stubborn1 03-29-2008 04:31 PM

Should you rename a horse or not?

I have read that it it bad luck to rename a horse. What do you guys think?

JustDressageIt 03-29-2008 04:44 PM

I have renamed 2 out of my 3 horses.
Dancer was called "Buttercup" and I hated that, so my 11 year old imagination came up with Dancer (from her registered name, Highland Dancer)
Cinzano came with his name, and I wasn't creative enough to change it.
Maia came with the name Champagne, which I hated with a passion - so I changed it!

PoptartShop 03-29-2008 05:45 PM

I don't think it's bad luck, hehe I never re-named Lexi but I do have nicknames for her. :)
I think it's fine to re-name. It's up to you!

Gingerrrrr 03-29-2008 06:07 PM

when i bought my first horse his name was Dominick (ick...) the owner named him after her father....when i bought him i just changed his name to Domino and i think he liked that much better :D

jazzyrider 03-29-2008 07:42 PM

theres nothing wrong with changing a name. IMO most of the time you could call them anything and they would still respond because its more your voice they respond to rather than the name itself. though i do have no doubt that especially older horses may know their name. but, they can still learn a new one :)

i think the bad luck thing is just superstition or an old wives tale. i wouldnt read too much into that :)

upnover 03-29-2008 09:56 PM

yeah i've heard that.... but don't believe it! we rename almost every horse that comes in. My pony's previous name was "Pete". Yeah, I changed that on the trailer ride home. :wink:

Stubborn1 03-30-2008 05:21 AM

Thanks a tonne you guys, definatily am going for a new name.

Rachluvshorses4eva 03-30-2008 05:51 AM

Go for it girl! If you don't like the name! Change it. I really think that if people say it's "Bad luck", then they're def. wrong! Like jazzy said, I think it's just an old wives tale....

Harue 03-30-2008 09:10 AM

I don't think it's bad luck, but I would feel horrible if I renamed one. To me names are important, I was even supposed to rename my second gecko because I absolutely hated her name before I got her... during the drive home I got very attached to the name and now I could never change it. I do have pet names for her though. ;D

Princess of Villainy 03-30-2008 11:38 AM

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with re-naming a horse... we've sort of re-named ours. A horse whisperer (a credible one) who comes to our barn sometimes told us that our horse didn't like her name, and so now we call her by both her old name (Addie) and her new one (Kaia)- though when we're talking to her, we only ever call her Kaia. In my family I'm still the only one who really uses her old name, just because I really like it. :lol: