The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Low Temperature (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/low-temperature-73829/)

writer23 12-22-2010 07:00 PM

Low Temperature

I have a horse whose legs swelled up a week and a half ago. We had the vet out and he noted a very abnormal heart beat, also a large stomach edema (that comes and goes). I've been taking his temperature three times a day. We're in a cold area (minus 10 on average). He's wearing a Cavalier Stormbreaker winter blanket with hood. But his temperature has never been over 97 F or 36 C and is down to 34.5 C or 94 F. Bit worried about the low temperatures. Called the vet, waiting to hear back - he has very low white and red blood cell count. \any advice?

mbender 12-22-2010 07:24 PM

Is he acting ok?
Posted via Mobile Device

writer23 12-22-2010 08:13 PM

I'd say yes. He seemed depressed yesterday but seems okay today, other than today he has slight diarreah and is lathering between his hind legs.

shesinthebarn 12-22-2010 08:27 PM

The edema in the legs and tummy make sense to me if he is having heart issues. Eating hay raises the body temp so pound the hay to him and be sure to contact your vet. 94 quite low.

Oddly enough one good way to get rid of edema is to drink lots. Horses sometimes will consume more water in Winter if it is warm. So maybe try offering him lots of nice hay and clean, fresh warm water and keep trying your vet. The blood counts are worrisome...

Also wanted to ask...did your vet order a WBC differential. (my question mark button is not working, sorry!) I`d be curious to see those results.

writer23 12-22-2010 08:41 PM

He has access to hay all the time, water is automatic and he has shelter. I've stalled him with a warmed fleece and stable turnout and put his winter blanket in the dryer to warm him up. But I want him turned out soon to prevent stocking up.

I'm still waiting for the vet to call back...i'm really interested in a WBC diff too. The vet and pathologist are thinking lymphoma, which is difficult to accurately diagnose I've been told. So we're taking his temperature over the week as the first step before going further then doing around round of bloods.

shesinthebarn 12-22-2010 09:09 PM

Lymphoma was one of my 1st thoughts, but I didn`t want to throw it out there and freak you out. Hope it`s not that but maybe a wierd virus that is wreaking havok on him. My mom came home from Cuba with a virus that had almost exactly the symptoms you are describing; edema, irregular heart tones, wackadoo WBC and RBC as well as elevated billirubin. She was very ill but is now just fine. I realize that I`m comparing apples and oranges here, but you just never know...

writer23 12-22-2010 09:20 PM

Fingers crossed it isn't lymphoma, but symptoms aren't great, I agree. I didn't want to put it out there in part to see if anyone would mention it. I put a fleece on him then his winter turnout and a rain sheet and after a couple hours in the stall and some grain and hay he warmed up to 37 C. Not sure if he'll maintain it though. I'll keep a close eye on him and wait to hear from the vet. I've turned him out into his paddock with shelter, just so he doesn't stock up so bad.