The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   I Need Suggestions for Breaking In New Saddle Pad (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/i-need-suggestions-breaking-new-saddle-73848/)

RATHER BE RIDING 12-22-2010 09:34 PM

I Need Suggestions for Breaking In New Saddle Pad

I just purchased a new western saddle pad. It has a wool blanket top, felt center and a wool fleece bottom. It is 1" thick. Are there any tricks to breaking in a new pad besides time and riding? I am talking about something that I can do while it is not on my horse.

tinyliny 12-22-2010 09:40 PM

Sounds like a neat pad, what is the make? I need a good Western pad, too. Just got a really cute headstall and orderd some handmade conchos for it. But a pad is way more important. I guess I got distracted by the bling.

I didn't know one was supposed to do anything for breaking in pads, other than just using them. I will learn something, too.

RATHER BE RIDING 12-22-2010 11:34 PM

I got this pad from Jeffers Equine. Wool & Felt - Jeffers It is the New Zealand Wool Pad in black. I was not sure what to expect as it is not cheap, but certainly not high end either, but I am really pleased with it. It seems to be well made.

I have never heard of anybody breaking in a saddle pad other then riding in it either. It just hate the break in period and was hoping to speed up the process.

I hope you can find a pad to go with your new headstall. I love getting new tack. For some reason my guys never quit appreciate the bling as much as I do.

iridehorses 12-23-2010 07:52 AM

Pads of this type are best broken in by using. They will eventually conform to a degree to the shape of your horse and the way the saddle fits. I've been using my current 1" 5star for ~ 1 1/2 years and there is a difference in the way it fits from the time I bought it to now.