The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   had an AMAZING dressage lesson on Mouse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/had-amazing-dressage-lesson-mouse-73902/)

MightyEventer 12-23-2010 03:26 PM

had an AMAZING dressage lesson on Mouse!

Okay so Mouse is a good boy but his problems are getting tense, spooky as an excuse, getting hollow, etc.
I went to a lesson with Susan White, had he was AMAZING! we worked on long and low and stretching trot alot to get him to relax so i know i dont have much contact, we were just getting him to realize that if he relaxes and puts his head down, then he will be a happy horse and i wont ask him much for the time being.

Tell me what you think!

equiniphile 12-23-2010 03:34 PM

WOO You guys look GREAT!! Good job :D

MightyEventer 12-23-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 862239)
WOO You guys look GREAT!! Good job :D

Thank you!! He is like a whole new horse! His improvement has skyrocketed in this week. Susan White is the best! I've known 4 people whole went to her and she transformed their horses and help loads with any problems they had. She is a gifted teacher/rider!

equiniphile 12-23-2010 03:50 PM

This makes me want lessons so bad lol! I'd loovvvee to see what Molly could be like with lessons.

MightyEventer 12-23-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 862262)
This makes me want lessons so bad lol! I'd loovvvee to see what Molly could be like with lessons.

I highly recommended it if you have access to knowledgeable horse people! i take 2-3 lessons a week, it always helps to have people to keep you on track :)

Wallaby 12-23-2010 04:04 PM

Disclaimer: I really know nothing about English so I'm not picking or anything, I'm just trying to learn. :)

So, to me (I only watched the first 30 seconds or so of the video), it looks like he was slightly behind the vertical most of the time... I thought that was "bad"? Or maybe since you were doing long and low, that's ok? I'm confused. Haha
Enlighten me, please? :)

You guys both looked really relaxed which is really great. :)

MightyEventer 12-23-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 862282)
Disclaimer: I really know nothing about English so I'm not picking or anything, I'm just trying to learn. :)

So, to me (I only watched the first 30 seconds or so of the video), it looks like he was slightly behind the vertical most of the time... I thought that was "bad"? Or maybe since you were doing long and low, that's ok? I'm confused. Haha
Enlighten me, please? :)

You guys both looked really relaxed which is really great. :)

he was just a bit mostly because this was his first time going long and low and stretching down so he is just getting the hang of it, so i think thats why, When im in more contact and have him more collected he (usually) is pretty good. I hope that answers you question!

Kayty 12-23-2010 09:23 PM

I see a lovely relaxed horse in a good rhythm, that is using it's back not just it's legs - lovely to see! You're doing a very good job, you're a very neat little rider and I think you will both do well :)

Wallaby, I know there's so much hype about horses being behind the vertical, but there is nothing wrong with riding them occasionally a little behind, a little deep, a little over-bent etc. from time to time when training. It is good practice to be able to place the horse's head and neck where you want them to be. If you allow the neck to remain in one place for the whole ride, you can end up with a horse that braces and is not flexible through the neck and poll.

MightyEventer 12-23-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 862672)
I see a lovely relaxed horse in a good rhythm, that is using it's back not just it's legs - lovely to see! You're doing a very good job, you're a very neat little rider and I think you will both do well :)

Wow, thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me because our biggest problem is him NOT using his back! I really do think he is maturing and getting down to business now, it definitely gives me more hope for our goal to go to the training three day next year!

Kayty 12-23-2010 10:16 PM

Yep well he's certainly starting to use it now, he is looking really quite nice behind the saddle. He could be better over the back, but for a start, he's looking excellent :)