The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Fast heart rate, near death need help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/fast-heart-rate-near-death-need-73946/)

Bandera 12-24-2010 05:47 AM

Fast heart rate, near death need help!

Heart reate (bpm) : 120-130 AT REST
Temp; 101.5
Breath per minute: 25
Swollen abdomen filled with fluid
Gut sounds
Capilary refil is fine, color is fine
easily out of breathe
weak
sheath swollen/tendon swollen
no bite marks
laying down
kicking feet
depresses
stopped eating/drinking

Please help! My friends horse became really sick in the past week and the vet has no idea what is going on! The horse is lethargic an they can see the heart beat in his neck! Please help! Thank you!

HowClever 12-24-2010 06:04 AM

Get another vet.

Bandera 12-24-2010 06:07 AM

They might take him to UC Davis if he lasts that long. Their vet has called numerous other people and they dont know what it is. No one has a clue. Could is be that everything is happening in the abdomen and the breathing and heart rate are due to stress???

faye 12-24-2010 06:26 AM

get anouther vet! Sorry but The horse is in pain that much is obvious. If your vet doesnt have a clue then get anouther one.

Horses can actualy have colic and still have gut sounds.

Bandera 12-24-2010 06:28 AM

Yah, if it were me the horse would be at davis, problem is they cant get another vet out there because they board on an air force base, that vets the only one that can get on.

HowClever 12-24-2010 06:30 AM

The horse needs to be seen by another vet, whatever that takes. If it has been sick for a week already your friend and her horse are in big trouble and there is nothing that any of us on the forum can do to help.

Bandera 12-24-2010 06:32 AM

im thinking severe colic... that would explain the laying down, kicking, and abdominal fluid. what about the heart rate that high, they could see the pulse through the neck. Breathing is probably because the heart it beating so fast... i would say something ruptured, or bleeding out but the gums showed no sign of blood loss.

faye 12-24-2010 06:36 AM

Stress and pain send a horses heart rate and blood pressure through the roof.
If you cant get a vet to the horse then get the horse to the vet!

Bandera 12-24-2010 06:42 AM

thats what i told her but they dont even know if the horse can handle the stress of the trailers. Idk how they would even get him to davis. (30 minutes away) Im trying the best i can for her and this horse... Hell im up at 4:00 in the moring researching stuff. What kind of colic could cause this stuff?

faye 12-24-2010 07:05 AM

Spasmodic colic, Ruptured abcess (leads to blood poisoning), gripey tummy.

I've got a pony who the second he gets a slightly gripey tummy he panics and stresses himself so badly that you think he is dieing. Vet come up, sedates him and he is fine.
I've got anouther who generaly the first signs that something is wrong is when it is very very wrong normaly neccessitating tubing him or a trip to leahurst (an hour and 15 mins away!)
TBH, the horse MAY die on the way to the vet hospital, the horse WILL die if they don't get him there!