The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Trainer Question... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trainer-question-73995/)

ladybugsgirl 12-24-2010 07:46 PM

Trainer Question...

How many of you go to more than one instructor/trainer. Ok so my instructor from when I was boarding at the barn I use to work with got mad cuz I went to a old instructor for help only cuz my current trainer was unavailable. Well my instructor got mad and things that I am only suppose to go through her. So is it wrong to ask for help from other instructors.

LadyDreamer 12-24-2010 08:04 PM

Learn from as many people as you can, when you can. You can learn something from EVERY person you meet, even if it is what not to do. You can NEVER have too much knowledge or learn from too many people.

Beau Baby 12-24-2010 08:18 PM

I used to ride with 2 coaches. 1 a family friend who was only helping me train my gelding, she wasn't actually a "coach" perse{sp?}. I had my current coach at the same time. I had just started with her. She told me she wouldn't be able to really teach me anything if I was also learning from another person. So I quit working with the other lady. I realize now it was a mistake and now I never talk to the other lady. It helps to learn from multiple people.

LittleFish 12-24-2010 08:51 PM

I ride with 2 trainers. Of course they are husband and wife, so not sure if that counts. I ride mainly with one, but go to the other occasionally for Showmanship, Western Pleasure, and some other Pattern classes.

They are very supportive of taking occasionall lessons from other trainers tho.

gypsygirl 12-24-2010 09:53 PM

i ride pretty equally with two trainers. i just made it clear from the start that i ride with someone else as well and they wont change that. i also dont take lessons super consistantly though.

AlexS 12-25-2010 02:58 AM

I currently have a dressage trainer, if my young horse turns out the way I want him to, I will work with a jumping trainer as well.

I don't think it does any harm, but I could understand your trainer flipping out if you are double checking her opinions/advise.

damnedEvans 12-25-2010 05:02 AM

I don't see something wrong in having two instructors. And I don't see something wrong even if you are checking what one instructor is telling you with the other one. You have the right to receive the best advice and to be sure that what they tell you is correct. So it's nothing wrong to double check something. If they are sure on their knowledge and know that what they teach you it's right I don't see a reason to be mad if you ask or go in the same time to another trainer.
I myself learn from 3 instructors, 2 that are our horse trainers and in the same time instructors. Those teach me free of no charge whenever they have time. Beside them I have my recent instructor that I'm paying to teach me something. All of them know about each other and I don't see a problem with it. Our two trainers could have been mad because I don't take lessons with them but they weren't mad and I appreciate it.

kitten_Val 12-25-2010 10:26 AM

I have one at the moment, but my trainer herself suggested me to try also another trainer in her barn when I feel I'm ready. Because she teaches dressage, and she thinks one of my mares should try jumping (and other trainer is eventing instructor).

Ak1 12-25-2010 09:02 PM

If she's upset by that- then she's probably insecure. I use several trainers and if you really don't feel comfortable telling her that you like the others, just tell them that you've got a predetermined situation already. The more instructors, the more you learn so it's really better!I use 3 or 4 during the show season. A dressage, jumper/hunter, jumper and eventing. Because the eventing coach is most expensive and I really only go for pre-show tune ups. Then for jumper/hunter I go once per month and she gives me things to work on. The jumper Iget twice a week and also get to apprentice under her. My dressage I do anytime I want to because she stays at the barn.

You really are better off with more than one! I know I have an excessive amount but it's just because most of them I have arrangements that make lessons almost free!