The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Magnetic Crown Piece (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/magnetic-crown-piece-74005/)

Oxer 12-24-2010 10:43 PM

Magnetic Crown Piece

The revolutionary new Barnsby Magnetic Crown Piece has magnets incorporated directly into the leather that are positioned to affect the axis vertebrae at the top of the spine. These magnets work to relax excited or nervous horses (including young horses); assist the horse in building correct topline muscles; facilitate greater freedom of movement; help the horse remain soft in the mouth; encourage older or stiff horses to stretch more; relax horses who are trailered, stabled in a new environment or have tension related vices like stall walking.

Okay, so i saw this on SmartPak... and i'm kinda' intrigued.
Does anyone use this type of magnetic therapy on their horses??
Magnetic Therapy of any kind?? i would love more info on this type of thing.

Thumbs up or thumbs down!?

trailhorserider 12-25-2010 02:23 PM

Sounds like "snake oil" to me, but then again, I am a skeptic of magnetic therapy of any kind. I have never tried it though. But I can't imagine it doing anything other than taking your money.

csuebele 12-25-2010 02:46 PM

My wife bought one for our rather spooky mare. First day we tired it, she seems better, but not sure if it was that or she was just having a good day. She's had other bad days, so I really can't say how well it's really working.

Oxer 12-25-2010 04:57 PM

yea... see i'm kind of thinking "Snake Oil" as well. I don't know anyone that i train with that uses Magnetic therapy, and i work with a lot of sport horses and trainers. But i'm pretty intrigued by the whole thing. :)

Spastic_Dove 12-25-2010 05:38 PM

Both the people I get lessons from use magnet therapy and I've seen great success with one of our geldings that broke his withers as a youngster. I really don't personally know a lot about it though. We've used the magnet blankets or wraps but I've never heard of a magnet crown piece.

Tymer 12-25-2010 07:30 PM

Sounds like a placebo type thing. You know those wrist bands with the magnets that are all the rage now? Same idea, but it has no basis whatsoever. If it works, good for you, but I personally wouldn't spend the money.

Carleen 12-25-2010 11:56 PM

Like Tymer mentioned, those magnetic bracelets that are all the rage right now are far from proven and I believe that they don't actually do anything. The magnets attract the iron in your blood, therefore giving you a different sensation in your wrist but doesn't actually do anything.

I do believe that lots of powerful magnets in a magnetic blanket can be therapeutic but not something as small as a crownpiece. I'd be wary putting anything like that near my horse's brain tbh, but that might just be me!!

Lippylulu 12-28-2010 12:01 AM

magnets worked for my dad

My 81 year old father has a neuromuscular condition in his wrist, hand and arm. Nothing has worked to help the pain, numbness and tingling. He is a TOTAL skeptic when it comes to alternative natural remedies but he tried a magnet bracelet out of desperation and got relief! Unfortunately after a few days of improvement he realized that use of magnets are a no-no if you have a pacemaker so he had to stop using the magnet bracelet.

I have no idea how this anectodal story may help someone with a horse. However, my dad is an educated guy and his excellent response to the magnet therapy surprised all of us. I have no idea if it would help a horse.