The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Most Popular English saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/most-popular-english-saddles-74010/)

Shimla101 12-25-2010 02:10 AM

Most Popular English saddles?

I've been reading a lot on the forums here and some of the saddles mentioned are completely unfamiliar to me. So I'm really interested to hear what you all have to say regarding the title of this post.

Here in South Africa, we don't see a huge range of saddles. The ones I know of here are:
Pessoa, Prestige, Black Country, Ideal, Wintec, Bates, Kieffer, Tekna, GFS, Trainers. There are others, of course. A lot of people still ride in Jeffries, Lairds (though they're rare nowadays), Stubben, etc etc.

What would you say are the most popular English riding saddles in America/Europe and:

What makes them so popular? The quality? Are they very adjustable? The comfort? Do they fit a lot of different types of horses? Are they affordable?

rocky pony 12-25-2010 02:32 AM

I'm not sure which are the most popular of all, but Wintecs are pretty popular here in America because they are affordable, durable, and super easy to care for. I've personally owned two Wintec English saddles and I'm a big fan. There are a ton of other brands, of course, I'm sure other members will bring them up.

kitten_Val 12-25-2010 09:40 AM

It's not so much about popularity as it is about the fit IMHO. However if you noticed people suggest a lot Wintec and Stubben (BTW, both a very bad fit for my own horses :wink:), then I'd say Bates and Collegiate, and also I've seen Pessoa and couple other brands.

But I truly think it depends on forum as well. I go to the different dressage forum from time to time, and when I asked for suggestions there I got Black Country, County, Thornhill, Duett as suggestions for the dressage saddle I was looking for at that moment (I ended up with Thornhill).

In my personal experience Black Country and County are awesome in comfort. If I ever have enough money I'll get one!

equiniphile 12-25-2010 09:43 AM

A lot of people have Collegiates, Stubbens, M. Tolouse, Courbettes, Wintecs, etc. Those are pretty popular names around here.

luvs2ride1979 12-25-2010 10:09 AM

In the HJ world here in the states, the most popular saddles are Dover's line (they are affordable), Marcel Toulouse, Pessoa, Bates, and Ovation (affordable). This is mostly due to "look" and what's "in" right now. Pessoa (some) and Bates have the adjustable gullet of course.

For eventing and Dressage, the performance of the saddle seems to come before what's "in." Though BIG knee/thigh blocks are definitely what's selling in Dressage saddles...

faye 12-25-2010 10:25 AM

I love my Farringtons, I would also kill for a Fylde.
you have all the normal brands like ideal, jefferies, stubben, black country.
native pony saddle co saddles are also popular.

Wintecs are over here however they are not that popular as they are seen as the cheapest of cheap.

Shasta1981 12-26-2010 10:18 PM

I would also say that stubben is one of the most popular. They are great quality and last forever if you take care of them. People who have money to burn though seem to go for amerigo around here.