The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   -What bit- CONTROVERSIAL (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-bit-controversial-74021/)

Ak1 12-25-2010 11:48 AM

-What bit- CONTROVERSIAL

So, I know that it's very controversial around here, so I'd like to stay on topic and please do not ridicule or anything.
So, I am lookking to find a good bit for my horse. I understand that 'yyou should be3 able to ride any horse in a loose snaffle or something and I can, but she just doesn't like it, and I really already know that.

I do dressage and higher level jumping. Not sure what anyone suggests but please let me know. And she doesn't have trouble with bit acceptance but the other day I used a boucher and she was happier already.

Sunny 12-25-2010 12:03 PM

There is little-to-no information in your post.

What about mouth conformation? What bits have you used? Which ones does she like/dislike?

You say she liked the boucher, why not use it? Those are quite mild.
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 12-25-2010 12:33 PM

ditto the above, more info needed.

The only thing I've understood from the above is that you will need a dressage legal bit.

equiniphile 12-25-2010 01:08 PM

Pages 8/9 here explain acceptable bits for dressage, by the USEF, but if you would like an answer more catered to your horse you'll need to offer more information, like what bits you have tried and your horse's response to them:

www.usef.org/documents/licensedOfficials/2004/dressequip.pdf

reinersue 12-25-2010 03:03 PM

Though you do have to use what bits are legal for showing in dressage (or other disciplines, for that matter)..... doesn't mean that you can't be using a different bit for schooling/training!

kitten_Val 12-25-2010 05:25 PM

Sunny asked it all! :-) It's impossible to suggest without knowing what you tried...

BTW, my horse HATES loose snaffle. I tried it several times and every time she went bananas. She also didn't like D-ring all that much. She's fine with eggbutt lorentzo though.

MudPaint 12-25-2010 05:46 PM

Ditto on the loose snaffle for Primo. All depends on the horses palate and mouth shape.

tinyliny 12-25-2010 08:21 PM

Many people just love Baucher bits. Aren't they dressage legal?
Would a Pelham work for you?

faye 12-26-2010 03:13 AM

tinyliny a baucher is generaly dressage legal (dependant on mouth piece) a pelham is NEVER dressage legal

Ak1 12-26-2010 12:59 PM

New post now on with info