The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What do you feed your hard keeper? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-do-you-feed-your-hard-74062/)

RunnWalk 12-25-2010 10:57 PM

What do you feed your hard keeper?

As you can see from my horse's profile pictures, he's a hard keeper. So far I've been adding corn oil to feed, mixed in senior feed with his regular Sweet Mix, and am currently feeding him 6 flakes of hay + 1 flake of alfalfa hay per day (we can't afford much more than that in hay plus this is more than what he will usually finish) So far I'm getting very minimal results. I don't have as much of a problem in the summer time with all the grass but winter has kicked his butt as of now. I'm buying Farnum Weight Builder in about a week so hopefully that will help.

Any other suggestions?

myhorsesonador 12-25-2010 11:27 PM

What brand of feed are you feeding?

luvs2ride1979 12-26-2010 01:43 AM

What helped me was to get rid of all of the sweet feed. I have mine on a mix of 2-3 qts of alfalfa pellets, 2-4 qts of plain whole oats, 1-2 cups of flax meal, and a good vit/min mix, plus free choice hay.

If you're already feeding senior feed, make sure you're feeding it to the bag's recommendations. You may not be feeding him enough. To that I would add 2 cups of flax meal (high in fat), a digestive aid, and either 3 qts of alfalfa pellets or 2 lbs of beet pulp.

If you're already feeding the alfalfa hay, you might just increase that instead of adding anything to the senior. Make sure he's getting 8-10 lbs of alfalfa hay a day.

I have not had good results using corn or veggie oil. I would use the flax instead. If you cannot find affordable flax, then stabilized rice bran works well, or Nutrena's Empower supplement (it's flax and rice bran blended pellets).

myhorsesonador 12-26-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 864410)
I have not had good results using corn or veggie oil. I would use the flax instead. If you cannot find affordable flax, then stabilized rice bran works well, or Nutrena's Empower supplement (it's flax and rice bran blended pellets).

Also siminol's Ultra Bloom is really good. Its stableized rice bran as well as vitamins and minerals. I really like it. I just feed a cup along with my other grains. I have been able to reduce the amount of her other grains. This is what I feed. (All siminol)

1 scoop gold chance 14
1/2 scoop alfalfa pellets
1 cup Ultra Bloom
1 cup black oil sunflower seeds (for her coat and she LOVES them)

MIEventer 12-26-2010 10:40 PM

My hard keeper gets:

3lbs of Tripple Crown Senior. I love this product, crammed packed with Beat Pulp and Rice Bran. My boy gobbles it down too.

2lbs of Purina Ultium. Also packed with Rice Bran and Beat Pulp.

He also is infront of a round bale 24/7 and he is on a Digestive Aid suppliment - SmartPak's SmartDigest Ultra.

My Beau 12-26-2010 10:53 PM

When my 17 year old TB mare had a hard time keeping weight on last winter (had just weaned a foal off of her), she came right around by adding 2lbs (dry weight) of soaked alfalfa cubes to her pm grain. For grain, she gets 6lbs (split between 2 feedings) of Blue Seal Carb Guard. Plus, all the timothy hay she can eat.

Buckcherry 12-26-2010 11:20 PM

I feed my TB (rescue) Sentinal performance ls.. Just that nothing extra and he's gained almost 100 lbs in 2 months. And well of course good hay.

churumbeque 12-26-2010 11:47 PM

I would question the quality of hay personally. If money is tight I am guessing you didn't go buy the best hay around and I would rather feed good hay and skip the sweetfeed.

Production Acres 12-27-2010 10:59 AM

Drop all the feed, additives, corn oils, majic vodoo dust, etc.

He needs access to a good loose mineral.
Lose the grass hay.
Feed a hay at about 20lb/day that is about 140-160 rfv - this can be either an alfalfa/orchardgrass, or a straight alfalfa.

churumbeque 12-28-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Production Acres (Post 865306)
Drop all the feed, additives, corn oils, majic vodoo dust, etc.

He needs access to a good loose mineral.
Lose the grass hay.
Feed a hay at about 20lb/day that is about 140-160 rfv - this can be either an alfalfa/orchardgrass, or a straight alfalfa.

where I come from grass is prefered over alfalfa. Too much protien in alfalfa can cause other issues and you cannot feed as much so there fiber intake is less. Grass alfalfa mix is better than straight alfalfa. You can usually get a nutritionist in your area through your vet or feed company to come out for a free consult on your feeding program