The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Total newbie pulling mane questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/total-newbie-pulling-mane-questions-7408/)

funnygal 03-30-2008 08:50 PM

Total newbie pulling mane questions!

Hi! My riding teacher told me how to pull my horse's mane, and showed me....few weeks ago. So today I try it. Is it normal for clumps of long hair to be coming out?? Is that the goal, to pull out the old, long hair and only be left with shorter hair? I should also mention it probably hasn't been done in over 6 months :)

Here's what she told me to do.....take small piece of main....use comb and push "loose hairs" up to neckline....wrap remaining mane around comb and yank hard. Is that correct?? Thanks!

Cheval 03-30-2008 08:52 PM

It seems like what your trainer said is correct, but don't yank too hard (unlike me today...poor Sunny). Anyway, I think you've got it right. Like me, you probaly had a hard time trying to get six months worth of hair out.

.A.j. 03-30-2008 09:50 PM

ugh... mane pulling :x Flynn hates it and I have a horrible time doing it. He rears up and is very grumpy about it, very unlike him in any other situation.
Any tips for getting it done without dragging my sister and mom out to the barn to hold him still???

hunterequlover781 03-30-2008 11:21 PM

You have it right. Just make sure to only pull a little at a time.
Hay works nice for keeping them happier.

upnover 03-31-2008 09:16 AM

Yes. your trainer is correct! it is very possible that large chunks of mane are coming out, and it's ok, if your horse doesn't mind! If it hasn't been done in 6 months, you're probably going to have quite a bit to pull!

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-02-2008 01:44 AM

it's also better to pull the main after ridding, horse it tired and some what sweated in the main area easier to pull i find

MysticRealm 04-02-2008 07:06 PM

I have also heard to use liniment on the neck where you are pulling the mane as this has a slight numbing effect. I have never used it so can't give you my opinions on it.