The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   ice in hooves. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ice-hooves-74094/)

lilkitty90 12-26-2010 03:54 PM

ice in hooves.

we went for a snowy ride today. and all of our horses are barefoot so we've never had to worry about ice sticking into the hooves. but one of our mares had to get shoes on the front after a bad incident with her foot. long story short on our ride today ice sticks into her front feet with the shoes and it's impossible for her to knock it out. and it's VERY annoying to have to get off every few steps to beat ice out of her hooves. is there anything i can do to prevent it? put stuff on her feet? or make a cloth thing with a drawstring on it that she can wear while we ride? anything? whats your methods/suggestions?

MyBoyPuck 12-26-2010 06:58 PM

Won't help until your next shoeing, but they make pads we call poppers that keep the snow from accumulating in there. Until then, non-stick cooking spray or crisco should help.

lilkitty90 12-26-2010 07:28 PM

i honestly thought about De-icer or crisco or something, we will definitely try the crisco or cooking spray next time!

Gizmo 12-26-2010 07:41 PM

Yeah, I have definitely heard to use Crisco or Vaseline or the spray Pam so you don't have to use your hands in it and slab it on there. And the popper is a good idea too if you don't want to keep doing that.

Spastic_Dove 12-26-2010 09:07 PM

Pam cooking spray! Works like a charm.

lilkitty90 12-26-2010 09:10 PM

does the pam last the whole ride? or willl you have to get off a few time times to re-apply?

MyBoyPuck 12-26-2010 10:28 PM

I had to frequently reapply, but I think I've had less success than others. I'm a big fan of popper pads in the winter. We're currently having a blizzard and I know my boy has traction and will be out playing in it tomorrow with no issues.

lilkitty90 12-27-2010 01:16 AM

i would do the pads but we barely have snow here in NC and i don't think doing all the extra work for the poppers and we not get snow that year.

Alwaysbehind 12-27-2010 09:14 AM

Several threads on this topic already.

Crisco and Pam only work for a short time.

Snow pads work the best.

mls 12-27-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 865260)
Several threads on this topic already.

Crisco and Pam only work for a short time.

Snow pads work the best.

Thank you always.

My gelding is shod year round as we compete all year. We go for trail rides in the snow. I don't get 'we stop every few steps to clear ice'. Do you stop to clean mud? Check for rocks?

The snow builds when they move and then stand and move and stand. Keep walking and you will be fine.