The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Are polo wraps necessary for my pony? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/polo-wraps-necessary-my-pony-74116/)

PonyAngel 12-26-2010 11:09 PM

Are polo wraps necessary for my pony?

Hi everyone:) I have a pony who i dont ride. I do alot of inhand stuff with him including long walks with him. I was told i should use polo wraps when i lunge him and jump him (leading and lunging over jumps). He's not very large, probably between 12 and 13 hands. I'm wondering, are polo wraps something i need to invest in? I know sometimes lunging can be stressful on joints and i just want whatever's best for him. Thanks :)

Piaffe 12-26-2010 11:18 PM

I like SMB's if i will be doing any jumping...even small jumps ;) Polos I use only for flat work usually....

luvs2ride1979 12-27-2010 03:59 PM

Polos just protect the outside of the legs. They do not support the tendons or joints much at all. I do not use any kind of protective boots on our horses for lunging, trail riding, or jumping. My daughter uses splint or galloping boots on her horse, but just for the look of matching boots & saddle pad, lol.

Even "sport boots" like SMBs aren't all that "supportive," especially considering the cost.

The best way to protect her joints and legs is to condition her slowly and do not over-do lunging or jumping. I do not like to lunge for more than 20 minutes total, 2-3 days a week, 4 days max. I also don't do much cantering on the lunge line, mostly walk/trot work.

AlexS 12-27-2010 04:50 PM

For flat work, I use these boots and love them, just don't make the mistake I did and get the pretty white ones, as that lasts for about a minute.

Dover Saddlery | Equilibrium Stretch and Flex Flatwork Wraps .

For jumping I would use something like this

Dover Saddlery | Woof Pro Ultra Front Tendon Boots .

Am not a huge fan of polos as they don't do much and can cause injury if they are not correctly applied. It seems to me that there a few people (at least at my previous barn) who like to use them because they look cool and look like they know what they are doing.
I use Polos for my horses until they are using to wearing shipping boots when I trailer, and when I was in England and they were required for cross country events, which was many years ago, and I imagine the rules have probably changed.

Alwaysbehind 12-27-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 865557)
Polos just protect the outside of the legs. They do not support the tendons or joints much at all. I do not use any kind of protective boots on our horses for lunging, trail riding, or jumping. My daughter uses splint or galloping boots on her horse, but just for the look of matching boots & saddle pad, lol.

Even "sport boots" like SMBs aren't all that "supportive," especially considering the cost.

The best way to protect her joints and legs is to condition her slowly and do not over-do lunging or jumping. I do not like to lunge for more than 20 minutes total, 2-3 days a week, 4 days max. I also don't do much cantering on the lunge line, mostly walk/trot work.

Well said.

PonyAngel 12-27-2010 05:53 PM

thanks everyone :) keep the answers coming, i like to hear what everyone else does.

VanillaBean 12-27-2010 05:59 PM

I always use boots or wraps. ALWAYS! Especially jumping...

I really like splint boots, I have Toklats. Wooof Wear has really nice ones too.

VB