The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Some opinions needed, please. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/some-opinions-needed-please-7412/)

Cheval 03-30-2008 09:27 PM

Some opinions needed, please.

How do you think Sunny will do in hunter classes?
He's a medium and we'd be showing in pony hunters and short stirrups, but not showing over 2'6".
Again, sorry that I'm posting a lot of things about hunters, I'm just curious.
I know I have a lot to work on with my position, so don't critique that since I'm working really hard.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Horsies097.jpg
The jump is about 2'3", give or take.
Tell me if you need pictures.

moomoo 03-31-2008 04:37 PM

"Good boy, weeeee!" lol :lol:
I havent heard of pony hunters and short stirrups, but great vid! You look good, does Sunny go on the bit?

upnover 03-31-2008 05:06 PM

he's so cute... (I think i tell you that every time I reply to you... :) ) In an ideal hunter you want something with long low movement that is happy and relaxed and goes over fence as if it's just a natural part of his stride. He's cute over the fence but the head toss after isn't good. (I'm sure he doesn't do that after every fence, right?)He's not a bad mover but depending on the competition I don't know if he's an automatic hack winner. So much of it depends on who you're competing against! So it's hard to say how you'll do. I tell all of my students... 3 things you're responsible for as a rider: pace, line, rhythm. Pick the correct pace, find the straight line, maintain a steady rhythym and you should do fine. A decent mover that follows those 3 things will do better then a fancy mover that doesn't.

JustDressageIt 03-31-2008 05:14 PM

Sunny is so cute!!
Upnover pointed out all the big things, just stuff like he needs to slow down a little and drop his head so he's not rushing at the fence... but I can't see why he couldn't be a great little hunter pony!
Just one thing though - and it sucks... some judges discriminate against colored horses (paints, palominos, buckskins, etc) but nothing you can do about that!! I'm just warning you :(

Cheval 03-31-2008 09:18 PM

Upnover -The after part of the jump was 100% my fault. I had a BAD release afterwards. I'm really trying to work on that. He strecthes a lot at the canter, which makes him relaxed and happy.
He finds the distances himself - it's adorable. He's like "Umm...no we need to slow down a bit here..." Its cute. We're working on those three things, but we're almost there. I don't have really recent videos, as we are jumping more difficult stuff, but I'll get some soon. Thank you so much!

JDI - Thanks! I'll really work on his speed and I'll try to horse stretching before the jump espically (but I should probaly do a lot of streching just in general) because he will do it, it's just my problem really. Ugg. I hate it when judges are..."racist". Haha. Poor Sunny, at least he's cute!

Babyrowz 04-01-2008 03:19 PM

aww very lovely pony!
he has a very good jump on him, that jump looks more
like 2"6 rather than 2"3.
lots of potential

PoptartShop 04-01-2008 03:21 PM

Looks pretty good! :D
Yeah, I know...judges shouldn't be like that; you lose a lot of good jumpers I'm sure! But very nice job. LOL @ the weeee haha.

Cheval 04-01-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babyrowz
he has a very good jump on him, that jump looks more
like 2"6 rather than 2"3.lots of potential

Thanks! I know it looks more 2'6" but he's a little guy - 13hh. So, it may not seem small but it is. At least for him!
PoptartShop - Haha, that was weird of me...oh well.

JustDressageIt 04-01-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheval

JDI - Thanks! I'll really work on his speed and I'll try to horse stretching before the jump espically (but I should probaly do a lot of streching just in general) because he will do it, it's just my problem really. Ugg. I hate it when judges are..."racist". Haha. Poor Sunny, at least he's cute!

Yes it is sad... which sucks because I like colored horses!!

regardinghorses 04-02-2008 12:02 PM

He is adorable over that fence! His jump is very very nice, with his knees up and even and his lower leg tight. He does look nice and relaxed and straight.

The only thing I notice (besides the head at the end which has already been addressed) is that he looks a little heavy on the forehand going into the jump. He's very relaxed, but could use a little more collection and be lighter on the front end.

Like upnover said, it all depends on who you are competing against. But it looks like you'll be successful. Concentrate on having a good round first and the ribbons second. That way, you will be happy no matter what!