The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   smallest horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/smallest-horse-74154/)

goodcallsenator 12-27-2010 03:50 PM

smallest horse

I was trying to figure this out the other day, but couldn't really since my two horses are 17 hh and 17.2 so I didn't have any idea what is the smallest horse I could ride... I am 5.5 (ft) and 120 (lbs)

goodcallsenator 12-27-2010 07:35 PM

bumpity bump bump

HollyBubbles 12-27-2010 07:43 PM

I don't know how big 5.5ft is, but I'm around 165cm tall and about the same weight as you, And I've ridden my 38" miniature, but before I get ripped in to about being cruel to my animals, I only ride her at a walk, and only for 3-4 minutes before my sister gets on, and only if said miniature isn't in work, if she is I don't get on first but I would rather she threw me off rather than my 6yo sister.
The smallest horse I have ridden "properly" like walk, trot, canter etc, was 14.1hh and that was a few months ago and he is my best friend's pony.
My smallest actual horse, that I own is 15.2hh and I have just bought one who is 16.1hh.
So there's not really a limit on the size you can ride depending on what you do with them. I only rode the 14.1hh on the flat, I could have jumped him but he was sooooo lazy. I showjump my 15.2hh.

mooney 12-27-2010 07:52 PM

I am 5'9" and 125lbs, and ride a stocky mountain pony that is 12hh for retraining and she has no problem bucking and bolting with me! Okay she does listen most of the time. but usually the smallest I ride on a daily bases is a 13.2hh slightly modern Haflinger. Your what I call luck, you can get away with riding anything from 11 or 12hh (depending on bulid) and beyond. I should point out that I have good balance (the only thing going for me with riding), you may find it more difficult the shorter you go.

goodcallsenator 12-27-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyBubbles (Post 865736)
I don't know how big 5.5ft is, but I'm around 165cm tall and about the same weight as you, And I've ridden my 38" miniature, but before I get ripped in to about being cruel to my animals, I only ride her at a walk, and only for 3-4 minutes before my sister gets on, and only if said miniature isn't in work, if she is I don't get on first but I would rather she threw me off rather than my 6yo sister.
The smallest horse I have ridden "properly" like walk, trot, canter etc, was 14.1hh and that was a few months ago and he is my best friend's pony.
My smallest actual horse, that I own is 15.2hh and I have just bought one who is 16.1hh.
So there's not really a limit on the size you can ride depending on what you do with them. I only rode the 14.1hh on the flat, I could have jumped him but he was sooooo lazy. I showjump my 15.2hh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooney (Post 865746)
I am 5'9" and 125lbs, and ride a stocky mountain pony that is 12hh for retraining and she has no problem bucking and bolting with me! Okay she does listen most of the time. but usually the smallest I ride on a daily bases is a 13.2hh slightly modern Haflinger. Your what I call luck, you can get away with riding anything from 11 or 12hh (depending on bulid) and beyond. I should point out that I have good balance (the only thing going for me with riding), you may find it more difficult the shorter you go.

Thanks as well :) I'm talking about the smallest to still be able to do everything (flat, jump) I wouldn't feel comfortable on a 12hh doing that :P hehe thanks though!

mooney 12-27-2010 08:13 PM

Okay the 13.2hh was the smallest I could jump, she did a course of cross rails and 2'9" up rights, I think it could have been a little more or less! But she is mostly my galloping go to, she can make the 15 hh buddies of hers look like their walking!

goodcallsenator 12-27-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooney (Post 865772)
Okay the 13.2hh was the smallest I could jump, she did a course of cross rails and 2'9" up rights, I think it could have been a little more or less! But she is mostly my galloping go to, she can make the 15 hh buddies of hers look like their walking!

haha almighty thanks :)